Clogged Cat?

BrianDye

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My LS throws the P0420 code, something about the cat's, and when I was behind my mom yesterday, and it was cold, so the "steam" or whatever you wanna call it was coming out of the exhaust on the LS for a half mile or so, but it was coming out of the drivers side SO MUCH MORE than it was on the passenger side....think my cat is clogged maybe?

I suppose that it could be. Feel the exhaust coming out of each pipe, and see if more is coming out of one than the other. The P0420 code has little to nothing to do with it being clogged or not.

are you noticing engine power loss, if it really bad you wont be able to go fast you will be limited to less than 50mph im having this issue. the passanger side is completely clogged even when the engine is warm and the driver side is really hot and passanger no air what so ever.

My LS throws the P0420 code, something about the cat's, and when I was behind my mom yesterday, and it was cold, so the "steam" or whatever you wanna call it was coming out of the exhaust on the LS for a half mile or so, but it was coming out of the drivers side SO MUCH MORE than it was on the passenger side....think my cat is clogged maybe?

that steam is called exhaust.
Lets hope it's plugged, then you can get a new one.

The code is Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1). The cat has stopped working. It does not mean it is plugged. The computer toggles the fuel trim between rich and lean very quickly to keep the NOX emissions (byproduct of hot lean combustion) from going too high. This can be seen by the front O2 as a wave. The catalytic converter finishes off any unburnt fuel, so all the rear O2 sensor should see is a straight line. PO420 indicates the rear O2 is seeing a large amount of variation from rich to lean after the cat. This is something that should not happen on a fully warmed properly operating cat.

A plugged cat usually shows itself through high back-pressure. Generally this can be felt as bucking or heard as a shhhhhhhhh sound coming out the tail pipe at high throttle openings.

There are a few rebuilders of catalytic converters out there, or you can get a direct replacement after-market converter for less than $500. BTW my '03 LS8 is having the same issue on the passenger side. It is the same side which had 3-4 coils go bad in 10,000 miles with 90,000 miles on the car. The missing dumps a lot of fuel into the converter, which overheats the converter.

Don't you mean "My mommy's LS"
No, not at all. Its mine, but she drives it some days when she needs it.

The code is Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1). The cat has stopped working. It does not mean it is plugged. The computer toggles the fuel trim between rich and lean very quickly to keep the NOX emissions (byproduct of hot lean combustion) from going too high. This can be seen by the front O2 as a wave. The catalytic converter finishes off any unburnt fuel, so all the rear O2 sensor should see is a straight line. PO420 indicates the rear O2 is seeing a large amount of variation from rich to lean after the cat. This is something that should not happen on a fully warmed properly operating cat.

A plugged cat usually shows itself through high back-pressure. Generally this can be felt as bucking or heard as a shhhhhhhhh sound coming out the tail pipe at high throttle openings.

There are a few rebuilders of catalytic converters out there, or you can get a direct replacement after-market converter for less than $500. BTW my '03 LS8 is having the same issue on the passenger side. It is the same side which had 3-4 coils go bad in 10,000 miles with 90,000 miles on the car. The missing dumps a lot of fuel into the converter, which overheats the converter.

500$! I thought maybe 100$ if that, I guess cats are more complicated than I thought LOL, maybe ill just cut em off :p

Is it actually hurting the engine at all being like that? (Its obv. not completely clogged, there was still a bit of "steam" coming out of it, just not as much as the drivers side)

are you noticing engine power loss, if it really bad you wont be able to go fast you will be limited to less than 50mph im having this issue. the passanger side is completely clogged even when the engine is warm and the driver side is really hot and passanger no air what so ever.

No, its deff. got power when you stomp on it, I was up to 90 on the ride bringing it home, the trans does slip if I floor it, but I mean I can still give it good throttle and get it up real fast. (Haha)

(What else would I call the "Steam" theres gotta be a proper word for it LOL)

I doubt it's hurting the engine. Is the check engine light on? You can get universal catalytic converters for $60ish each. I'm not sure if they will fit or if they will work well enough to keep the CE light off. They would require fitting and welding. If you cut the cats out completely, the CE light will always remain on.

hate to bring up an old thread but i was just told both my cats were bad. one has nothing left in it so im reading a code that says rich on bank 1. has anyone put an aftermarket cat on there ls? im being told it cant be done

Members online

No members online now.
Back