Clockspring

oldhead

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a quick question. I'm about to change the clockspring in my 2002 LS.
I need to know if the air bag cover just pulls out or if it comes off with the airbag.

thanks
Gene

It's all together. You have to unscrew the 4 screws from the bottom though. Be sure to leave the battery off long enough for the airbag to discharge.

It's all together. You have to unscrew the 4 screws from the bottom though. Be sure to leave the battery off long enough for the airbag to discharge.

x2

There are two bolts that hold the airbag assembly to the wheel. Just pop the round covers off of the back and you will see them. IIRC they're 8mm (5/16").

There are two bolts that hold the airbag assembly to the wheel. Just pop the round covers off of the back and you will see them. IIRC they're 8mm (5/16").

That is what I thought but, needed to check.

Thanks
Gene

it fits under the air bag in the column it triggers the bag to go off in an impact, its like a small charge.

Clock spring is the mechanism used to have contact for all the electronics when you turn the steering wheel, like the horn, cruse control, turn signals, radio controls, etc.

Air bag sensor is in the front of the car the charge is part of the air bag not part of the clock spring other than the electrical path the signal flows through.

Members online

Back