Clockspring Related

Triojeepy

LVC Member
Reaction score
My LS: LS 2000 3.0L V6, 91K miles.
Repairs over the last 1-1/2 years: Replaced all COP's, radiator, compressor, DATC (refurb), DCCV.
Upcoming: SRS light is on (clock spring?), steering column sometimes makes strange grinding noise when turning the wheel at startup (also clock spring??), instrument panel starting to light up like a Christmas tree ;)

Hello Gentlemen,

2 weeks ago I replaced the LS stock Alpine stereo unit with a Pioneer Double DIN head unit. I chose the AVH-4201NEX with Apple Car Play which works with the iPhone. It's a nice unit that instantly upgraded the sound from a "5" to and "10" and added a backup camera. When the tech installed the unit in he alerted me that my SRS panel light was on (it had been for over a month now) and said his computer returned a number of electrical error codes. The exact errors were:

EATC (Electronic Automatic Temperature Control)
DSM (Drivers Seat Module)
GEM (General Electronic Module)
PCM (Powertrain Control Module)
RCM (Restraint Control Module)

The steering wheel controls for the radio worked fine both before and after the installation. Only the "Mute" button on the steering wheel didn't work a few days after the installation which he said could be due to the 'open circuits' (his words). He recommended replacing the clockspring to address the SRS light and mute button issue and I also realize the connectors under the driver's seat could be in play as for the SRS light as well.

My question is I'm prepared to replace the clock spring and will also check the driver's seat connections for the SRS light but would the other error codes listed above be related to the clockspring as well?

;)

No, they are not.

Replacing the clock spring is unlikely to fix your mute button. The radio controls are all on one circuit, so they are generally all or nothing. The exception is high resistance in the clockspring. That said, probably the mute button itself is bad. I've had to replace the cruise button assembly for a similar issue.

Members online

Back