Clock Spring

Vinny93

Active LVC Member
Reaction score

Does anyone know where to find replacement Clock Springs for my 97 Mark VIII. I replaced my steering wheel column and it was just my luck to break the damn thing. They seem expensive and I dont want to spend 250$. Someone please help !!!

:)

I looked pretty hard and although there are used ones for reasonable prices I ended up biting the bullet for a new one at about $200. YMMV.

Does anyone know where to find replacement Clock Springs for my 97 Mark VIII. I replaced my steering wheel column and it was just my luck to break the damn thing. They seem expensive and I dont want to spend 250$. Someone please help !!!

:)

Sorry to hear. I'm going to be pulling my steering column to deal with a dodgy potentiameter on the steering column. Can you detail what you did that caused the clockspring to break? Might help others avoid the problem. Thanks!

clockspring

I have 6 of them right now so guys please keep breaking them. Thanx Bruce

its simple, once you unscrew the airbag disconnect the wires on the back and before pulling the steering wheel off make sure you leave room to get those connectors through the little hole at the base of the steering wheel. After removing the steering wheel you will encounter the MFS, slide that off, it tab locks onto the clock spring or the other way around. Now slide the clock spring off and make sure you zip-tie the clock spring in the position you find it in as soon as you slide it off the steering column, this will ensure it goes back on the same way when you put it back on. The other part of the Clock spring is under the column connected with wires so don't forget that part. You will need to remove the cover beneath the steering wheel and the metal bar that crosses over.

Off topic slightly, but are the 93-96 Clock Spring interchangeable?

I believe that the 93-96 are all the same. But the Gen 1's are different than the Gen 2's. Its real pain because they are not easy to find for cheap.

Once I unbolted the pinch bolt and lower the middle shaft. I accidentally grabbed the steering wheel. Which at this point was free to move 360 degree. Than came the click-click of the clock spring unraveling inside its housing. Still mad at myself for not thinking it through. If anyone had extra's, Im would like to buy one, maybe two haha.

Members online

No members online now.
Back