Climate control wire identification

berny

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Some jerk broke into my LS and stole the stereo! They did this by pulling the whole center dash and cutting the wires, so they got the climate controls too. I got it mostly back together and the stereo hooked up.

I am having trouble with the climate controls. There is a bundle of 48 different colored wires sticking out of the dash. I have a new climate control module with 2 female plugs in the back with a total of 48 pins. I ordered 2 wiring harnesses with male plugs that fit into my climate control module.

The idea was to do splice each wire coming out of the dash to it's matching color on the wiring harness. Then plug it in and be done. However, on closer inspection it appears that there are some repeats. So I have 3 identical white with red stripe wires coming out of the dash, and 3 matching on the harnesses. But which goes to which? Three brown with red stripe, two white with blue stripe, etc. You get the idea. How can I identify which is which? I need a diagram with what each wire is so I can test it. I would also need a diagram of what each pin on back of the climate module is. Does anyone know where to find such a diagram? Any other advice on how to solve this problem?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Edit: I forgot to mention it's a model year 2000 with the V8

16226784452696164044908032515353.jpg

162267848583174894003540658470.jpg

20210521_121322.jpg

Last edited:
You have a 1st gen, if I recall correctly...

1622683529764.png

1622683550612.png

Edit: I don't think you'll be able to read that. It's a 7M file. PM your email address, and I'll try to email the full file to you.

Yes, first gen. 2000 LS V8. I believe that is exactly what I'm looking for but you are right, it's too small. PMed. Thank you so much!

I have the diagrams now. Thanks! I guess the next step is finding the actuators and sensors in the car and then check continuity on the wires to identify which goes to which. I wish there was a way to tell by the voltage of the wire or something. Maybe if I Google <sensor> <voltage> I can figure it out. I also need to re familiarize myself with the symbols since some of that info might be in the diagram, I just need to read it properly.

For example, to find out if the red and white wire coming out of the dash leads to the evaporator discharge air temperature sensor or the cool air bypass actuator I wish I could measure the voltage of it, or the resistance between it and the brown and red wire. That would be easier than taking the whole dash apart and finding the evaporator discharge air temperature sensor and seeing which red and white wire led to it.

But at least I am able to fix the car now and I wasn't before. Those diagrams are invaluable. Thanks a million.

Awesome! Thanks. I only have a few repeats, so hopefully the rest are too.

I think that the dash (panel) and defrost actuators are impossible to get to without removing the dash. The rest, you should be able to at least trace to.

OK!

At long last I was able to trace down and label all the repeats, connect all the wires to their proper position in the plug, and connect the climate control control panel. I went through all the settings and things tend to work how they are supposed to. Air comes out of the defrost vents when I press the defrost button, etc. Except, no heat!

I ran the diagnostic mode and got the following trouble codes:

12 51
12 59
12 61
19 67
24 29
16 76

I ran a search here and found a handy guide joe posted about the codes and what to do here:

I ran the procedures and everything passed, so the solution is a new climate control controller? But it's brand new? I suspect that since they are mostly temperature sensors I did something foolish on accident these past few days that I have been crawling under the dash poking and prodding. Any guesses where I might have gone wrong? I've double checked these are connected properly to my plug.

I know that a "no heat" scenario is can be a coolant system problem or the dreaded DCCV, but since I have codes indicating sensors, and I have been messing with the sensors, I think it is a fair assumption that neither of those are involved.

I have one plug under the dash that I can't find connection for, but I can't tell if it ever had one? (Small black plug, attachment 1 and 2)

Also, I notice that many (all?) of my problem sensors run through J/C 1, but it is ok so far as I can tell. (Large white double with blue, attachment 3-4)
16262281178438941970271914741492.jpg
16262281890088277619102326027187.jpg
16262282365945537541358333587096.jpg
16262282547985204019034781649665.jpg

If I have to check for connectivity one more time tonight, I'm going to go cross eyed. I feel like maybe there is something big and obvious I am missing, any guesses? I have gotten so much help here I hate to ask for more, but I'm at my wit's end.

Members online

Back