Climate control having weird issue

Joey c

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Sorry I did a search and couldn’t find anything like the problem I’m having so thought I would ask. It’s a 2000 Ls v8. I have great ac when it’s set to 60 degrees on the control panel. If I move up one notch to 65 degrees it’s not a modest change but seems to go to about 80 degrees. I have great heat when it’s set to 90 degrees but if I drop it a notch to 85 it looses all heat and seems more like it’s just blowing cabin temperature air. Basically I have ac on 65 and heat at 90 but anything in between is not working correctly. I ran the diagnostics test and got the following codes 12 42 and 16 76. I know what both are but didnt think they related to the temperature problem. Maybe I’m wrong and they do but I just think it’s something other than those since it works great at the lowest and highest settings. Not a huge problem I can control the fan speed still but when it’s cold out it’s like lava coming out the vents and have to crack the windows just to breath haha. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Actually, this problem has been posted quite a lot, but probably not phrased in a way that you realized.
There are other possibilities (of course), but it's almost certainly your DCCV. It is certain to be your DCCV if the one you have now is aftermarket. That seems to be the way that those fail. Anyway, I strongly recommend that you use Motorcraft or Bosch for the DCCV.

The less common (but do happen) possibilities are that it's your temperature discharge sensors (rare for both to fail at the same time) or your cabin temperature sensor. These are fairly easy to test with an ohmmeter.

Awesome thank you so much joegr. Probably was searching with the wrong phrase and yes of course I changed the dccv a couple years ago and it was aftermarket so I didn’t think it could be that but thank you for the info. Will go with the motorcraft this time. Cheers and thanks again.

Members online

Back