Climate control display went black

Samuel J

LVC Member
Reaction score
I seem to have heat and the fan goes up or down when switch is pressed. But no display of exterior temperature, interior set temperature or fan speed.
This happened last week but just for a short time one day. Then the display returned and worked fine 4 or 5 days. Today I've started/shut down the car 3 times and the display never lit up.

It could be that the VFD has failed, or the "heater" circuit to it, or the HV circuit to it. End result: Need to replace the DATC.

It could be that the VFD has failed, or the "heater" circuit to it, or the HV circuit to it. End result: Need to replace the DATC.

Such a weird intermittent thing. This morning the interior & exterior temps were lit up normally. But the buttons for the fan control, floor, defrost, etc. were not lit up. A mile down the road everything was lit normally. This was of course when it was still dark out.
I found a procedure online that shows how to pull codes for the DATC. I'll try that this afternoon.
I also read somewhere that if the DATC is replaced, a Ford dealer has to update something with their proprietary computer. Not sure if IDS was being used in 2005 or what would be needed.

I've run the self test. The only thing that comes up is a 1265. This is shown below.
There are no other codes so I'm still wondering about this intermittent display darkness. Next plan is to locate the fuses and check for any dirt/corrosion on the contacts.
May also pull the DATC from dash and check the plugs that power it for the same reason.
I'm looking for but not finding the symtom chart described below.

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 2.28.13 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 2.26.14 PM.png

Okay, new theory: Intermittent cracked solder joints on the PCB inside the DATC. While Ford did add the requirement at some time that the modules had to be programmed to the car (specifically to keep people from using used parts), the LS was designed before that time. You do not need to do any programming to use a used DATC from another LS of the same generation. Just make sure that if you have heated and cooled seats, the used DATC has those switches, or if you don't that it doesn't.

Okay, new theory: Intermittent cracked solder joints on the PCB inside the DATC. While Ford did add the requirement at some time that the modules had to be programmed to the car (specifically to keep people from using used parts), the LS was designed before that time. You do not need to do any programming to use a used DATC from another LS of the same generation. Just make sure that if you have heated and cooled seats, the used DATC has those switches, or if you don't that it doesn't.

Sounds reasonable. The car does not have factory heated or cooled seats. I did have a local audio shop install a seat heater on driver side only but of course that shouldn't have anything to do with the DATC.
No new or refurb units seem to be available. Which is to be expected for an 18 year old car. Just bought one on eBay for $80. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

Members online

Back