Clear majority now back public option: poll

JohnnyBz00LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Clear majority now back public option: poll

By John Byrne
Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 -- 7:48 am

A "clear majority" of Americans now support a government-run public insurance plan as a competitor to private insurance companies, according to a Washington Post/ABC News poll published Tuesday.

The findings show that public support for a public option is growing. Over the last two months, the public option's support has risen from 52 to 57 percent, the poll says.

"Overall, 45 percent of Americans favor the broad outlines of the proposals now moving in Congress, while 48 percent are opposed, about the same division that existed in August, at the height of angry town hall meetings over health-care reform," the Post writes. "Seven in 10 Democrats back the plan, while almost nine in 10 Republicans oppose it.

Just 37% said they wanted a bipartisan plan without a public option. Independents favor a public option even if it doesn't have support from congressional Republicans (none have backed a government-run insurance plan to date).

In the Senate, debate over the public option is fierce. The Senate Health and Labor Committee approved a version of the legislation which included a provision for a government insurance competitor, while the Senate Finance Committee did not.

<snip>

Johnny pulls another humm-dinger...:leghumper

That's OK, you can't help yourself.:rolleyes:

Be careful...I don't want you chewing gum and walking at the same time.
:shifty:

"Only 20 percent of adults identify themselves as Republicans, little changed in recent months, but still the lowest single number in Post-ABC polls since 1983. Political independents continue to make up the largest group, at 42 percent of respondents; 33 percent call themselves Democrats.

"Only 20 percent of adults identify themselves as Republicans, little changed in recent months, but still the lowest single number in Post-ABC polls since 1983. Political independents continue to make up the largest group, at 42 percent of respondents; 33 percent call themselves Democrats.

Gee, I wonder why THAT is. :rolleyes: Americans have been jumping the GOP ship ever since Rush and Beck took charge and Steel was put in at the helm of the RNC as a "token" in a constantly-backfireing attempt to be "hip". :bowrofl: And it doesn't change the fact that MORE Americans want the public option than don't.

Gee, I wonder why THAT is. :rolleyes: Americans have been jumping the GOP ship ever since Rush and Beck took charge and Steel was put in at the helm of the RNC as a "token" in a constantly-backfireing attempt to be "hip". :bowrofl: And it doesn't change the fact that MORE Americans want the public option than don't.
Despite being a skewed ABC/Washington Post poll.

You're analysis is terrible- but it's nice how you add just a touch of racism to really discredit yourself.

What is the "public option" precisely, anyway?
Can you explain it?
And if I ask foxpaws, will she provide the same answer?
And will either of those descriptions represent what's actually in the 1500 page bill?

And, Johnny, you failed to note this, the third paragraph:

"Overall, 45 percent of Americans favor the broad outlines of the proposals now moving in Congress, while 48 percent are opposed"

See, even using your skewed poll, it still says MORE American's OPPOSE what they understand to be moving through the Congress. So you might want to put away the party hat.

Reality- you're Democrat friends are misrepresenting this "reform" in free-market terms. They use words like "competition" and "marketplace" to mislead people and distract them from the fact that it's designed to result in a single payer system.

Gee, more Americans want a free handout than don't. What a shock!

The "public option" is NOT a "free handout", and has NEVER BEEN promoted as a "free handout" EXCEPT maybe by the lying Republicans. Lame attempt at distortion.

The public option is health insurance whose premiums will be paid-for by the consumer just like private health insurance. The primary difference will be that not one penny of those premium dollars will be bled-off as profits or CEO bonuses, thereby making the premiums more affordable than private insurance. The public option, at least as envisioned by Obama, will not cost taxpayers a dime and is designed to SAVE money over the long run.

But I don't expect either of you to face those facts considering the poluted state of your minds from watching all that Beck and listening to all that Rush.

"Overall, 45 percent of Americans favor the broad outlines of the proposals now moving in Congress, while 48 percent are opposed"

See, even using your skewed poll, it still says MORE American's OPPOSE what they understand to be moving through the Congress. So you might want to put away the party hat.

That's because what is moving through congress right now is the Baucus bill that does NOT contain the public option. Dee dee dee. I don't like the Baucus bill either, and it's not JUST because its lacking the public option, I don't like the taxes on cadillac plans much, or the mandates. Those two factors are what's driving the opposition. Lame attempt at distraction and re-direction.

The "public option" is NOT a "free handout", and has NEVER BEEN promoted as a "free handout" EXCEPT maybe by the lying Republicans.

Read the Bill Johnny.

If you tell the government you can't make the payments, the government will make them for you, FOR FREE.

But if you can afford the payments, but don't make them, then the government will FINE YOU.

dee,dee,dee, indeed.

That's because what is moving through congress right now is the Baucus bill that does NOT contain the public option.

So you think that the public disapproval is because they are commenting on the Baucus bill that doesn't, in your mind, adequately embrace the "public option" or the single payer system.

Thats not true. But, still just relying on the article you posted:

Overall, 45 percent of Americans favor the broad outlines of the proposals now moving in Congress, while 48 percent are opposed, about the same division that existed in August

The Baucuss Bill didn't exist in August.
So, even based upon the heavily skewed polling data you've provided, support for what people understand as the "health care bill" has remained low, prior to the summer receess through the baucuss bill.

And really, "dee dee dee."
What's most entertaining about that is, not that you're imitating a comedian notorious for stealing material from better comedians, but that you're using it to imply that I'm intellectually deficient and that you're intellectually superior, after making another incorrect statement.

I don't like the Baucus bill either, and it's not JUST because its lacking the public option, I don't like the taxes on cadillac plans much, or the mandates. Those two factors are what's driving the opposition. Lame attempt at distraction and re-direction.
http:
I'm only quoting your article Johnny. Perhaps if you'd understood what it said before reposting it, you wouldn't look like such a "dee dee dee...." :rolleyes:

That's not a party hat you're wearing, Johnny- it's a dunce cap.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
-Abraham Lincoln

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
advice YOU should sometimes heed. but if you only stuck to the safe things, you actually might be credible.

Members online

Back