cleaning my gun

topher5150

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I went through about a dozen of those little cloths trying to clean the inside of the barrel but every one comes out black as the first one. Im using Hoppes solvent, running the hard bristle brush first. Maybe I just need to catch up on seventy years of cleaning :)lol any help would be great

Keep going

It's just dirty, eventually it will clean. I use Hopps too.

Yep, just keep plugging away; the longer it's been, the longer it'll take. Just make sure you punch the brush all the way out of the muzzle/chamber before you reverse directions, particularly if you're using a stainless brush. It's better for the brush and the bore if you don't reverse while the brush is in the bore.

If it's not gas-operated, you could try plugging the muzzle, then filling the bore with Hoppes #9 and letting it soak for awhile. If it's gas-operated or a larger-bore, it might not be such a good idea--the gas holes will let it leak out, and bigger bores take too much liquid to fill.

Its an 8mm Mauser K98. I've been shooting remmington, and mitchells mauser ammo, I was originally shooting older military ammo

The older stuff is likely to be corrosive. The sooner you get it really clean, the better. And ditto on plugging the muzzle and pouring the bore full to let it soak.

KS

It has been a long time since I had to deal with a bore dirty enough to justify filling it with Hoppes, but, IIRC, we used a short piece of wooden dowel that was just slightly bigger than the bore (it may even have been tapered with a pencil sharpener). A couple of patches on a cleaning rod tip might even do the job. You just don't want to use anything hard, because it can damage the crown of the muzzle, which would harm the rifle's accuracy (then again, a K98 might not have much accuracy left. ;) ); that's also why you want to clean from the chamber end when you can.

You can get plastic cleaning tubes for bolt-action rifles, which replace the bolt and bridge across the ejection port and have o-rings on the tip to create a seal in the chamber. They make it easy to guide the wet patch through the chamber, and keep the solvent from dripping all over the place in the action.

Am on vacation right now so I don't have the bottles with me but I have been using Hoppes cleaner and it claims to soak into the metal and "seal" the pores. I then follow with Hoppes lube.

Members online

Back