Cleanest Continental ever

MooJohn

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I don't think I'm breaking any forum rules by posting an ebay ad. I have no connection to this car or the seller but man, I wish I was the one buying it!

11k miles on a 2002 and it looks it! I've never seen a more showroom-appearing car than this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281352925856

If the tires are original they should be replaced but otherwise it's ready to make someone a fantastic car for half the cost of a new econobox.

Wow. I can't believe how clean the car looks, and motor is almost sparkling. Must be nice NOT to live in the rust belt.

I thought my engine was clean but you can eat off that one. You have clicked the link in my sig for my pics, right?

I'll see if my dad would be interested in this car. There can't be many left in this kind of shape. In a day when a new Camry/Accord can reach $40k, this thing is a steal.

I just checked out your sig link. Very nice very clean. 86K miles is silly low. I'm stealing your black muffler idea. I like that. Love that start up screen too. Tell me about you Nav and audio?

I just checked out your sig link. Very nice very clean. 86K miles is silly low. I'm stealing your black muffler idea. I like that. Love that start up screen too. Tell me about you Nav and audio?

I got mine in excellent condition 85k miles for $2.5k, includes the luxury appearance package, I couldn't be happier!

I was gonna post this ad about this car. I just searched it over. I really want to bid on it!

At least I know that there are clean low mileage Continentals out there.

I'd be concerned about how often it's been driven. I looked at an immaculate thunderbird like this once that was garage kept and found it had a bone dry tranny. Little bit concerned that he insists the fluid under the car is condensation and that you don't have to ask about it...other than that, it's a great looking ride and perfect for all your dinner plate needs.

I'd be concerned about how often it's been driven. I looked at an immaculate thunderbird like this once that was garage kept and found it had a bone dry tranny. Little bit concerned that he insists the fluid under the car is condensation and that you don't have to ask about it...other than that, it's a great looking ride and perfect for all your dinner plate needs.

The ac is 'on' looking at the interior pictures. and the car is located in Florida so I wouldn't doubt that's condensation. But you never know, might want to ask him anyway if you're buying it

Just over 1 day left and bids have topped $10k. I would have called it quits somewhere in the 9k range so I don't feel like I've lost anything.

Crossing the $10k mark means you can get a more modern vehicle, say a Lexus GS or LS series, albeit with more miles. I'm not beholden to any car brand - I always want the most car I can get for my budget. Last time that meant trading my mint Dodge Ram 4x4 for a Conti, getting cash back in the process.

$10K? That's some serious desire on display there. I bet the seller is doing doing a victory dance.

I agree that you could get a more modern car for that amount of pesos, but I suppose that wouldn't matter if your dream car is a 12 year old Continental with 11K miles on the clock.

I'm from the Northeast so I'm not sure what 12 years of Florida's climate would do to rubber. I would guess it would still be tired even if the car was only driven an average of about 77 miles a month since 2002. I'm talking about suspension parts, vacuum lines, hoses, etc. and of course tires if they are original.

The description sure makes it sound like a sweet car. No scratches, garage kept, non smoker etc. Man it sure is clean looking.

The garage kept part would come in to play as far is the rubber is concerned it's probably still like new save the tires. Keeping the car in a garage makes a big difference. It LOOKS garaged also

opalescent, I've been meaning to ask you about that exhaust system I keep seeing whenever you post. What's the story with that? Is it for a Mark?

Something is fishy! Well, the car isn't fake but the sale just screams "let's cheat ebay" as the auction was ended rather than letting it reach its conclusion. The buyer was probably the same person as the high bidder - just now ebay doesn't get its share of the final price. That's an interesting tactic -- let the auction go until its final hours, then end it and negotiate outside ebay for the final purchase.

You know what MooJohn? SCREW Ebay. I hope the seller did take the sale offline. I sell on Ebay and they treat sellers like common criminals and treat buyers like the second coming of Christ. They nickle and dime you to death if you want to sell something there. Example- I was going to put a rifle stock on for sale that would have gone for $300. After fees Ebay and Paypal (PP is hooked up with Ebay) would have gotten $45 from me for that one sale. $45!! They even take a percentage of the shipping costs. That's bull****. I've been on Ebay for 15 years and they have consistently done whatever they could to jam sellers and get as much money as they can from us. Of course they can because they are the only game in town really. I would drop them in a heartbeat if another auction site came online.

Ok, I feel better now after venting. :)

I'm always up for some good old fashioned eBay bashing. I've sold everything on there from bath towels to bitcoins. The amount of seller complaints on the support forums should probably indicate a logistical problem with their practices, but apparently they make gold whenever they take a dump so it's not a concern for them. Sadly, that's probably true considering they get a 10-15% commission fee from every sale. It's absolutely inexcusable to treat sellers the way they do. I've been ousted a couple hundred in the past from ridiculous buyer claims, even with very clear evidence to the contrary. It's a great place to buy things sure, but God forbid you sell anything valuable there.

I've taken the tact of issuing direct PayPal invoices for my more expensive items, even if it's against their policies. You get the same protection from PayPal, only without the commission fees. It's essentially free advertising if the buyer accepts. I like to think of it as eBay's way of 'giving back' to the community. :eyeroll:

That's good thinking on the direct PP invoices. I have a friend who makes about a third of his income from selling on ebay. He deals in high end antique glass and pays $400-$600 a month in fees. He has nearly perfect feedback but because he got a complaint they automatically froze his PP account until ebay could sort out the issue. The issue was an asshat buyer with low double digit feedback who was bummed out about the shipping costs. They were clearly listed and not excessive but they were enough to cover the cost to ship, the double wall boxes and the packing peanuts and bubble wrap which obviously my friend must buy to ship his glass items. People who never need buy that stuff have no idea how expensive it is. It took him 2 weeks to get it sorted out through ebay, and in the end the complaint and neg feedback was deleted. Dollars always = drama it seems.

FYI- During the Christmas season this year Ebay plans to force sellers to offer a 90 day return policy. Yes, I said 90 day return policy. Are they serious? Guess who isn't selling anything on Ebay for that time period? Myself and probably thousands of other sellers. I hope it hurts ebay's pockets and wakes them up to the fact that without sellers there would be no buyers and that means no income for ebay. I doubt it will matter though.

They don't care if you have 5 or 5000 feedback, if you so much as scratch your ass in the general direction of a buyer, you're thrown in the brig. I think back on all the things I've bought on eBay, from both no feedback individuals to people with thousands of stars, and I have never had an issue from a seller; no idea why they're so harsh on them. It's quite annoying to have that amount of money tied up in a dispute for that long too.

I didn't know about the 90 day return policy. I think I'll be taking an eBay vacation for that time too...just hope it's not permanent. Glad I got my old gaming computer sold yesterday. :Beer

I've noticed over the years how their treatment of sellers has gotten worse and worse, especially Now that I am more of a seller than a buyer. I remember when we (sellers) could give a buyer poor feedback. It was one way to defend yourself against an asshat buyer that just can't be satisfied. No way to do that anymore. It's positive feedback or nothing. There is really no obstacle to keep a seller dinging your feedback score if they wake up with a hair across their ass that day. I have 100% positive feedback and want to keep it that way so I am very careful with my listings and pics and I go out of my way to detail and describe whatever I am selling so there should be no misunderstandings. I am so glad I don't depend on ebay for my income though. That's a kind of headache and worry I do not need.

I believe the arbitrary 90 day return policy begins in October or november and ends just after Xmas. I'm not exactly positive on the dates though as I am going from memory. You should have gotten an email from ebay a few months back to inform you of it. I'll ask my friend what the dates are. He is still fuming about it so I know he will remember. lol

Something is fishy! Well, the car isn't fake but the sale just screams "let's cheat ebay" as the auction was ended rather than letting it reach its conclusion. The buyer was probably the same person as the high bidder - just now ebay doesn't get its share of the final price. That's an interesting tactic -- let the auction go until its final hours, then end it and negotiate outside ebay for the final purchase.

Or...the high bidder was the owner of the car trying to inflate his final sales price from REAL bidder.

Very true. I prefer to buy my cars from the AutoTrader over ebay. I've found literally dozens of cars for myself, friends, and family since the site began. I used to buy the weekly paper version back in the day but even in the mid 90s, the internet was the key to selling a car.

My Continental? Dealership had an ad on AutoTrader!

Or...the high bidder was the owner of the car trying to inflate his final sales price from REAL bidder.
Listings can't be ended with under 12 hours left if there are bidders on it; if they are, the item is immediately sold to the highest bidder. What you're describing is called shill bidding, and is very much against eBay policy. Very hard to prove though sadly unless you can see behind the scenes. Ending an auction early to get a higher price later is a much more common practice.

Even if he used another one of his accounts, he would still be responsible for paying the eBay fee associated with it, since it was marked as sold...kind of a stupid thing to do.

Members online

Back