Clean oil from the spark plug wells / changing EGR on 2003 LS

Ender570

LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2003 LS knowing that it would need work, so I'm starting out by trying to do as much of it that I can myself. I was replacing the spark plugs and I noticed that a few of the wells had a significant amount of oil built up in it. I imagine I'll have to change my valve cover gasket to stop the leak, but I'm trying to find out the best way to remove the oil in the meantime.

Also, on a completely unrelated note...I'm changing the EGR valve and I'm having trouble getting the new one on. I'm trying to get the big bolt tightened a bit before I worry about lining up the smaller ones, but the big bolt won't "grab" the egr valve. I can spin it and spin it, but it won't tighten at all. does anyone know any tips or tricks?

I took a long piece of small tube, taped the other end to a vacuum(with a catch bottle inline), and sucked out the oil...

when my cousin had the same problem, he was lazy and just removed the spark plugs and let the oil drain back into the engine...

personally, I like my idea more.

Use a mightyvac or get a cheap harborfreight vacuum pump. I did my valve covers on my 02 v8 when I noticed oil in the holes. I was due for coil packs so I didn't want to chance it. Very time consuming!!!!

The LS uses a Coil Over Plug ignition system not "coil packs" but you knew that of course.

Members online

No members online now.
Back