cigarette lighter port or whatever it's called

PaulPool89

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
I need the cigarette lighter port for my 98 mark viii lsc ce.

I can't charge my phone or my gps unit or anything, it's burned out.

Does anyone have one? And does anyone possibly know how these darn things come out?

I need the cigarette lighter port for my 98 mark viii lsc ce.

I can't charge my phone or my gps unit or anything, it's burned out.

Does anyone have one? And does anyone possibly know how these darn things come out?

I had I thought the same problem, but it turned out its the design. You need a charging phone cord that lights up so you can see when it lights by rotating the device in the socket. Mine finally worked by pushing in real hard and rotating it until it's connection light came on. Now to remove it you will have to remove the console or get it high enough so you can get your hand under it. There is a light bulb attached to the side of the lighter socket pull that wire plug out,but you will have to see it so best to get socket undone first. You do that by using a pair of needle nose and sticking them right in the bottom and start unscrewing the metal piece that screws on a screw which when tight holds the two pieces tight. Like I said if you can lift the whole console off would be the easiest. Tomorrow I cold post a pic of the removed lighter. Let me know if you want me to post a pic?

The fuse is fine. It got crud in it and stopped working...

Yes please, thanks turn_on68 that would be much appreciated! I tried to see if I could just pull it out somehow.

Are these things universal and I can just put any lighter in there?

Cig lighter.jpgCig lighter 2.jpgCig lighter 3.jpg
The image thing never worked for me. Its the icon with the tree. I think you gotta use a image host website. They're free

Cig lighter.jpg

Cig lighter 2.jpg

Cig lighter 3.jpg

Okay I couldn't get it to work from my phone, so I emailed myself and saved them in my PC and uploaded them from here. its the fourth icon from the right ,right above here looks like four dots in each corner oh maybe that is a tree inside of it.

That's the icon.

I see. So could it come out without having to remove the console by just unscrewing it from the top? Or do I have to remove the stuff to get underneath it? Because I *think* mine still works, its just got all this crud in it, so I'm thinking maybe I can just unscrew the top sleeve and screw a new one on.

Guess you wouldn't have a spare one around? :biggrin:

That's the icon.

I see. So could it come out without having to remove the console by just unscrewing it from the top? Or do I have to remove the stuff to get underneath it? Because I *think* mine still works, its just got all this crud in it, so I'm thinking maybe I can just unscrew the top sleeve and screw a new one on.

Guess you wouldn't have a spare one around? :big grin:

Not right now I don't have an extra. But to answer your question you see the washers that go on the bottom, also inside there is a ceramic disco under the lighter contact plug you cannot see. You have to hold it upside down to get all the washers and so on the screw on not to mention the electrical wires. I also have thought about mounting an additional one in the face plate under the AC control where the rear window defroster switch is Just drill a hole next to it and run a ground and a hot wire over to the side where all the fuses are. Come thru the side of the dash and put the wire under where you push a fuse into hold it. My car Nokia car phones charger was hooked up that way when I got my car. There is also a wire that clips onto the bottom of the plastic wood trim that goes around the gear shift which may work as a ground. you do know to gently put your finger nails or a small screw driver on the two plastic tabs that go up around the AC controller and gently pry out. Finger nail is best. That exposes two screws that hold the wood trim on and when you pull back it will release the push in pins that hold the wood around the gear shift? That is when I noticed a wire that was meant to be pushed on the bottom of the wood and I crimped a new end on it and pushed it back on. If I were you I would get a can of electrical cleaner and with the key out spray the hell out of it and then use paper towels to soak up and try and clean it out that way, even use Q tips. Remember because of the design it doesn't make good contact except in a couple of places, which is why you have to rotate the charger GPS unit plug in it.

I've thought about putting one in there also.

Alright I'll try the electrical cleaner and see what that does. Thank you so much for the pictures!

Got it out by unscrewing with needle nosed pliers. Took some WD40 to it since I didn't have electrical cleaner. The picture makes it look worst than it is I think. Used a toothpick to clean out the little house in the middle. Gorrilla glue on the plastic piece that snapped. There is a right way to put that back. Under neath you will see two indents that match teo little tabs at the bottom of the metal sleeve, and the neck of it sticks out thru the middle of the sleeve. Put it back together.
20140420_131245.jpg

http://postimage.org/
20140420_132004.jpg

http://postimage.org/app.php
20140420_132219.jpg

20140420_140201.jpg

I can see what you mean, I can screw it back in but there is no was to line it up with the plug at the bottom without pulling the center console apart. But I didn't have time to do it this weekend and I gotta find a guide to take it apart anyways.

Thank you so much for the assist

I don't know how you got it out with the light bulb assembly that is attached on the side of the lighter socket? I don't see the light bulb in the pics?

I didn't take it all out, turn_on68. I just stuck some needle nose in it and turned and unscrewed the metal sleeve you see.
I will need to take the console apart so that I can linen it up with the rubber boot at the bottom

Members online

No members online now.
Back