cigarette lighter plug

Motts

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
is there any way to wire the cigarette lighter plug to shut off when the car shuts off.. I hate always having to unplug my radar detector when i turn the car off. I'm afraid of forgetting and having a dead battery in the morning!!!

Any ideas??

is what i did on my explorer was had it wired up to something that shuts off with the car ie (radio, lights) circuit city did it for 20 bucks, then u dont have to worry about turning it off and on, also u can hide the wire so its not all over your dash, just tuck it in the head liner. my .02 cents

Unless your detector uses vacuum tubes, you don't have to worry about draining the battery overnight. You might drain it in a week or more.

I have detectors in all my vehicles(since 1987) and the only one that ever gets drained is my truck which sits often for a week to two weeks at a time. If I leave the detector on in the truck it will drain if the truck sits long enough.

A simpler fix may be to hardwire the detector into the line feeding the radio or off the accessories line. Some detectors come with a hard wire lead along with the cigarette plug lead.

One thing to watchout for is those electric coolers. Now those will suck your batteries down in a day or so.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Members online

Back