CHT Sensor Test

bputty

LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good electrical test for the Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor on a LS 2000? Volts and/or Ohms. Where would you suggest I hook up my ohm meter for testing? Do you have good "benchmark" figures you can provide me as to what I should be reading on my ohm meter?

G-RELL. The problem is not the sensor's cost and identification, it is the time and labor for me to remove the manifold to get to the CHT sensor. Everyone I have talked to tells me that it will take me three to four hours of my time and about $100.00+ in parts.
Before, I go through the above time and expense, I sure would like to know if the sensor is actually bad. Again, somebody must have an electrical test for the CHT sensor.

Why do you believe the sensor to be bad? If it is because it is telling you the engine is overheating but you don't believe it because of how quickly the gauge comes down, then it is most likely correct. (The gauge is "buffered" and will fool you. You can be at the top of the gauge and after sitting one minute be back down to the mid point.)
I verified that gen II has the same values and gen I. They don't give a resistance, but there are voltages to check (wiring connected and key on).
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x33003.htm~gen~ref.htm
scroll down to Thermostat—Electrical Test

Shouldn't take more than two hours to remove and replace...

Thanks for the check list. If anyone would come up with a solution to and LS question, it would be you. Over the past two years you have always offered the best solutions to any and everybody's LS problems.
Again thanks for your expert LS knowledge and assistant.
I will try you suggestions over the week end and let you know early next week as to how I come out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back