Chevy Cobalt as a possible Next Car. What do you guys think?

i can say that the cobalt is the new cav and has no resale. i personally would go for something else. GM is struggling to come up with cars of quality. You can pick up an HHR a year old for about 10k. My son has had his for 3yrs and hasn't put a dime in it.

I dont owe anything on the LS....its just a disaster and everytime I get something fixed something else starts acting up. Now I got a blown cat converter, missfire (again) , balls joints and probablly some other stuff. I just wanna get something that i'm not gonna have to worry about for a few years. My dad had a 94 cavalier and her ran that thing to about 200k no problem. I mean he probablly felt like a homo, but he was a homo that was saving alot of money and time. Thats the goal (not to look like a homo,, but to save money and time.)

And just FYI i'd still bang tanya harding.

Wow you guys really dont care about sticking domestic. It's really that bad. I'm trying to buy a car around 10k the most and the coblt just looks like the closest thing I could get that's domestic and in my price range. I was thinking about a cavalier but probably cant get a great deal or a great warranty. I just want to make it clear that I' thinking about this from an economical standpoint not anything else....oh yeah and if I crash I dont want to die, but I might take my chances if I get 40mpg. (in response to petes86, I cant drive a truck of any nature....I will definitally roll that sh*t)

You do realize an Escape is a 4x4 midsize SUV? American.....and the most fuel efficient (Non Hybrid) car on the market.

In the small car division, Ford > GM imo. The new body style on the Focus isn't bad. Better than a Cobalt for sure. If I were in your shoes though I would go for a slightly older Fusion. Lower resale on those, and in this climate I am positive you can get a great deal on one. They look good and ride spectacular, and the 4cyl has some balls to it.

A 07 Fusion around here is 12000 brand new with a V6
I think the AWD fulling loaded is 15000 but that was before these huge sales..might get one for around 8000? :p

I dont owe anything on the LS....its just a disaster and everytime I get something fixed something else starts acting up. Now I got a blown cat converter, missfire (again) , balls joints and probablly some other stuff. I just wanna get something that i'm not gonna have to worry about for a few years. My dad had a 94 cavalier and her ran that thing to about 200k no problem. I mean he probablly felt like a homo, but he was a homo that was saving alot of money and time. Thats the goal (not to look like a homo,, but to save money and time.)

And just FYI i'd still bang tanya harding.

You're not a homo unless you drive a Pink ford, a Prius, a PT Cruiser, or a Scion xB

I'm 6'2" and a friend of mine has one. Every time we take her car I have to drive it because all the other seats are uncomfortable (even the passenger for some reason). As said before.. Just a little too small.

It's always less expensive to repair a paid-for car than make payments on a new one. Are you paying $300-$500 per month in repairs?

If the car is paid off just get it fixed. It's much cheaper than paying the note every month and you won't feel like a homo

Idk...decisions decisions. I really just wanna get something new that wont cost a penny to repair for a few years. I'm tired of feeling like im gonna have a heart attack from stressing whether my LS is gonna break down everytime I drive it.

challengers are pretty cheap these days!! I would get one of those for a mods car!

fixed it for you MM

hardingchubs.jpg

Being as I have had 3, an LS and two SS-SC's I recommend them. If you go non SS(which are not SC or turbo models) than you get a decent amount of power, 170, they are still as quick or faster than a v8 LS and are nice lil' cars. The SS's are 2.4L's, the LTs and such are 2.2L's w/ 140hp and 150Lbs tq. Turbos and SC's are 2.0L. If you go new w/ the top SS you get a turbo w/ 260HP and about equal trq and they haul ass for a small econobox, looking at high 13's all day. And with a tune from a good tuner you are gonna love it even more. If you go used and find a supercharged model, you won't be disappointed either, stock they are rated at 205 but upon many, many doing dyno's they are actually putting out stock anywhere from 215 to 230.

Styling, I love them, its just my kind of car. Small, light and nimble especially after some slight handling mods. I love my SC and would recommend going w/ a top model, the 2.2 is a great engine but just lacks power and tuning at the moment. I know you may not be into it but its fun to do things too.

Crash ratings? well not curtain but I have seem many threads on the balt boards of accidents and they hold up good, you can get side airbags and all that so you are not just driving a box w/ wheels. Resale, eh, but what freaking american car has that anyway.

Gas mileage? great! I have a good amount of power, about 250-60 to the wheels(w/out the nitrous) and I still can get 35 easy on the hwy, sometimes 40+ and in city I get about 28 or better pending on if I stay out of the boost or not. If you have any other ?'s just pm me or whatever and I can give you the info or point you in the right direction. You well see probably the same in the 2.2 or 2.4. When I had the LS I got like 30 city and 40's on the hwy all day(mine were all manual trannys).

I have yet to get to drive it in the snow but I hear the SS turbo's and SC are not recommended but tires are the thing there. But they are good in the condition, just have a good set of tires and you well be fine. I do not think you well be disappointed in what looks like an LT or something since you said a turbo or SC is out but you may be suprised at the prices if you find an SC used or Turbo(they went to turbo in '08 btw). Reliability is great aswell, but there are the bad apples but I know a few w/ 2.2L that are in the 80K range w/ not one problem and a few have not done any maintance in the sense of anything but oil changes. I think its one of the good buys out there other than a mazda 3 or top range civic. I may be biased but I am being nothing but honest.

Being as I have had 3, an LS and two SS-SC's I recommend them. If you go non SS(which are not SC or turbo models) than you get a decent amount of power, 170, they are still as quick or faster than a v8 LS and are nice lil' cars.

I disagree. I made the mistake of racing a cobalt the other day. I say it's a mistake because they are mismatched cars to begin with. I took him from the light (even though he jumped the gun and took off before the green) When we got to 60 then I really pulled on him. I slowed down at about 85. He decided to keep on it, and pass me, probably thinking he was finally winning.

I didn't "smoke" him, but it wasn't gaining any on me. I did, however, have to keep it to the nuts. I thought it was going to be easier than it was.

The only aftermarket mods I have are new cone filter intake, and magnaflow mufflers. Not enough for any considerable HP gain.

At my LS's performance level, I wouldn't attempt to race an FI anything.

what kind of model? Cause I have seen the numbers on SS's at tracks, not sc or turbo that have the numbers to make a race out of it. A 2.2 not so much, they are 15.5+ plus cars but the 2.4's with manual and driven decent can do 14.8's and such. Of course many factors, SS/SC or TC no doubt can handle one, or atleast a decent driver should be able to take one out easy, which I agree, arn't many from stuff I have seen but eh, alot are too young to have that kind of car anyway. Not a big deal, I do not think he is looking for a quick car or he wouldn't have got an LS anyway.

Thanks beamer. I'm just looking to save money right now, not really racing. I think this is still gonna take a month or so to figure out whether or not i'm gonna get a new car. I just really am lookin foward to the day I get in a new car and dont have to worry about possibly getting it towed because something breaks.

are you set on getting a new car? you can probably find an old lady trying to get rid of her buick thats only a couple of years old for a good price. might have a few shopping cart dings but maybe that wouldnt be too big of a deal if all youre looking for is reliable transpo.

id definitely go for a lesabre or something like that before i would a car like that. and in my opinion, it doesnt matter how fast they might be, it still looks like it came out of a cereal box.

best of luck. let us know what you do.

Thanks beamer. I'm just looking to save money right now, not really racing. I think this is still gonna take a month or so to figure out whether or not i'm gonna get a new car. I just really am lookin foward to the day I get in a new car and dont have to worry about possibly getting it towed because something breaks.

No problem, just giving my experience and opinion on them. Pretty good cars for their price, not for everyone but I enjoy mine, I know I hate driving the fusion when I am in that and its a rather nice car but I just love driving my slobalt haha, especially when your typical stang(v8) or whoever driving rolls up thinking they are top :q:q:q:q but eh, most look at mine at shows and stuff and are very impressed or just lying their asses off, either way, I do not care cause its all about what you are comfortable with and enjoy. I would recommend looking at one, taking it for a nice drive and just seat in it, get a feel and just think whether its something you want, than find out about the price and than maybe shop around cause there are some nice(r) cars out there that you may of not have thought of and who knows, might be around the same price. They have some good options, I just wish I had know about the cd changer option when I got my current SC(was just added option to the list at the time I was getting another).

You may of wanted to know why I had 3, well, I got the Cobalt LS cause I wanted something basic that was good on gas. I did a few things to it and than made the mistake and going back to the dealer and was lookin at an SC, drove it and was just like "yea, gotta have it." So I drove that home later haha, did alot to it than got hit by an idiot driver and it was wrote off(happens when you are crawling and than get rammed by a s10 doing 50) so I managed to get all my work off or out of it after and went and picked up another.

The LS might not be fast but its really not supposed to compete with today's fast cars or even fast cars of its time but the Cobalt is one cheap looking car IMO.

Looks like a toy. I dont care what it has in it. Its the exact same idea as a Neon-excuse me SRT 4. Take a cheap car ( cavalier ) and re-do it with a different badge to gain that lost respect ( as if either deserved any ) and add a few things here and there so you can fool one into thinking it is a different car. It was Chevy's way to compete with the sport compact tuners and they decided to give it the bolt on so it could compete from the factory with the cars the kids actually put money and devotion into.

IMO its a fake POS!

Base models, ehh for what your using it for its OK. I wouldnt own one but I almost piss myself when ever I see one of those ricers,...excuse me wanna be ricers that attempt to "hook" them up.

everyone likes something different, its a good car and one of the best in its category. Atleast the cobalt was made from the get go to have fast models unlike the SRT-4 and is much better stock for stock from the factory(driven both). Not everyone has to get something to ones eye is like a $30K car, hell if I wanted I could be in a very nice car by the way people on here dis on anything less but thats not me.

Its all up to him whether he wants the car or not, maybe once he gets in one and spends sometime around he well decide to get something "nice" but maybe he'll decide its all he needs as I did. If he does anything to it to make it more his like you would your LS' he is free to do so as am I and could care less if people hate it cause its a toy, my whole thing is, get something that fits, can bust some ass on the strip including the better "ricers" whether I regarded as fake or not and be able to afford more important things like a home and support for a family later on and not spend tons of money buying something "real" and spending more on parts because its that kind of car.

A 07 Fusion around here is 12000 brand new with a V6
I think the AWD fulling loaded is 15000 but that was before these huge sales..might get one for around 8000? :p

I agree, even a brand new Focus, or a few years old 07 perhaps .. You also got a trade in plus negotiate with the saleman for that great deal.

Hell you can even get an 03+ LS for 10k with trade in. Less problems right?

Members online

No members online now.
Back