Check tranny light + Switches into gear "E". WTF?

b34nz

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone have some ideas? I know it needs to get taken in to the shop, but until then, any ideas on what might be the cause?

It seems out of the blue, it switches into second gear and wont move from 2nd and the "D5" switches to "E". Even if I put it in reverse, it keeps displaying the E gear. I looked through my manual book and saw nothing about an E gear. :mad:

eastcoast27959 said:
e for emergency. go get the codes.

:q:q:q:qing great. All night in the ER and now my tranny is going out. What else could possible go wrong today.

E

Prob the the Valvebody. thats what I had to replace. or the selinoid, I didnt have to replace. Valvebody $440 from Ford $460 from Lincoln Murcury

RGL said:
Prob the the Valvebody. thats what I had to replace. or the selinoid, I didnt have to replace. Valvebody $440 from Ford $460 from Lincoln Murcury

i need to replace my valvebody. haven't done so yet. car drives fine accept under a slight load. no E where d5 lights up. no codes yet. prob a solenoid. ever get the codes?

Mines going in for service on the 19th, I'm having them do the valve cover gaskets, and hopefully valve body + solenoid just to be sure, they are fixing my trunklid scratch and installing and balancing my new rubber. My transmission is doing the same thing, when I'm at a red light I just restart my car, It fixes it for like 5 minutes :(

Mine did the "E" thing on Christmas, and again about a week ago. No transmission light though. Called the stealership and they said that they would have to get it to do it before they could diagnose it. Called the Lincoln customer service hotline and they said to just drop it off and let the mechanics drive it around.

I had the infamous "E" show up on the gear selector display. Luckily while it was still under factory warranty at 70,000km. They replaced the solenoid pack and valve body i think. Alll together they did about $3000 worth of work. It took 2 visits before they actually performed the work though. The "E" would show up, but I didn't have any symptoms. Good luck!

Any of you guys ever get more info on this? Mine is still in the driveway. I took it to a mechanic and he F'd it up worse than when I took it in. >=|

Any extra feedback would be appreciated
:)

Boy, you have been out of action for 3+ months? that is bad.

YOu didn't give a lot of detail on your car. If it is somewhat newer it is probably still under warranty.

Lincoln had a Customer Satisfaction program covering this problem a year or so back that covered my car and I had the impression it would cover cars out of warranty too. Ford has had a fair amount of problems with this model tranny and lots of us including me have ahd varying aamounts of service required.

Some as simple as a shift additive, reflashing the computer and some as bad as tranny rebuilds and multiple valve body replacements.

Seems like the Valvebody and solenoid pack are common problems which can lead to other troubles. My 04 needed a minor rebuild with a valvbody and I think solenoid pack at about 15Kmiles.

Not too confidence inspiring.

Jim Henderson

Mines going in for service on the 19th, I'm having them do the valve cover gaskets, and hopefully valve body + solenoid just to be sure, they are fixing my trunklid scratch and installing and balancing my new rubber. My transmission is doing the same thing, when I'm at a red light I just restart my car, It fixes it for like 5 minutes :(

Mine has been out of the shop for 2 months now running strong:

New Valve Body
New Solenoid
New OD Band

My tranny is running ultra-smooth, even better than before the errors started. The errors you described were exactly what was happening to mine. They suggested a rebuild or a new tranny, I said rebuild first and they agreed.

Mine has been out of the shop for 2 months now running strong:

New Valve Body
New Solenoid
New OD Band

My tranny is running ultra-smooth, even better than before the errors started. The errors you described were exactly what was happening to mine. They suggested a rebuild or a new tranny, I said rebuild first and they agreed.

Great =\
How much was your rebuild? I'm driving a 1985 Mercedes 560SEL right now, I REALLY need to get my car fixed.
=[

Yeah Mine is got the "E" and mine is applying max pressure. It chirps second and when it shifts into 3rd it will jump to fourth then back to third, and then its normal in forth and fith, I need to know whats its going to cost to fix it, because my parents are telling me to just go trade it in tomorrow. I HAVE to go look tomorrow. but Im not sure if I want to get rid of the LS.

Well, I'll have to look when I go on dinner/lunch-break, the receipt is in my car, it was done under warranty and along with some other things(valve cover gaskets, coils, plugs, tires)

Does anyone know what solenoid it is? Part number or something?
Thanks in advance...

nickandersonls01, explain the symptoms you were experiencing before you got the transmission rebuilt.

didnt get mine rebuilt

I had no 4 or 5 gear had to replace the Valve Body. $460.00 if i remember.

I had no 4 or 5 gear had to replace the Valve Body. $460.00 if i remember.

was that for the part or did that include labor? Does anyone know how much the solenoid is? Thanks.

Members online

Back