Check Traction Control -- Car won't start

mr92

LVC Member
Reaction score
The other day while driving I received a Check Traction Control message; and the car died soon thereafter -- since then it will not start.

Cannot clear check traction control message -- no codes are stored.
Can't find any blown fuses or bad wires.
No fuel pressure present; everything (voltage from Inertial fuel switch) is fine to the REM but no voltage output to the fuel pump. It is as if the REM doesn't want to turn on the pump???

I can manually apply voltage to the fuel pump and and it will pump up to pressure. The car will start and run until pressure goes back to zero.

Anyone have any ideas on what to look for -- or what is wrong????

thanks.

What scan tool are you using? A generic obdII code puller?

You have to establish wether or not you can communicate with the REM with a scan tool. Then you can establish wether or not the REM can communicate with the rest of the moudules in the car.

If you can verify ALL the powers and proper grounds to the REM module, it would more than likely be a faulty rem but thats an expensive guess.

Jay

I have been using an ELMscan tool - with just a simple obd2 code puller.

If you know of a better tool that is compatible; I would be willing to try -- I will double check all powers inputs and grounds hoping one is not made

I do have another lincoln ls -- 2000 vs 2002 -- if I pulled out the rem from the non-functioning car and plugged it into the functioning car would that work to test it out?

mr92 said:
I have been using an ELMscan tool - with just a simple obd2 code puller.

If you know of a better tool that is compatible; I would be willing to try -- I will double check all powers inputs and grounds hoping one is not made

I do have another lincoln ls -- 2000 vs 2002 -- if I pulled out the rem from the non-functioning car and plugged it into the functioning car would that work to test it out?

You could try it if the part numbers on the REMs are the same. You wouldnt want to fry a good rem because its not the same.

There is a part number on outside of the rem.

You would need a scan tool that is capable of communicating on fords network. The only one you might find out in the public is the NGS, its old and outdated and not supported by ford anymore.

Im sure snap on or mac make something but again expensive.

Anything else is too expensive (WDS and IDS) to be out in the private community.

Jay

the auto enginuity unit is supposed to communicate with ALL of those modules.

I check the REM and its the same model as my other car; I took it out and placed in the other car -- car starts and runs fine so I am confident that the REM is ok.

I am sure that its somehow tied to this check traction control message -- there must be a bad wire somewhere??? What I don't understand is why this would keep the fuel pump from running?

Or maybe there is an electrical problem that is keeping the REM and Fuel pump from firing up?

When you apply voltage to the pump and start does the "check advance" go away? I assume the REM has control over the fuel pump...to create "fuel cut" right?

Fuel pump never comes on.

I was able to manually get the fuel pump to run and build up pressure. I reconnected back the REM and the car started up; ran fine until the pressure dropped and then it started missing and died.

I can never clear the check traction control message even when I got engine to run; and after reviewing the circuit it looks like the pcm sends a duty cycle to the rem to turn on the pump (and control speed). I am assuming that the pcm is the reason why the rem will not turn on the pump; this includes when you first turn on the key... but have not figured out why; or how to figure this out?

I think the message on the display is somehow related to this problem?

so it sounds like pcm is not communicating w/REM. I'd be looking at wiring between the two or a new pcm?

LincolnTech38...I see NGS testers with full CAN support. Are you saying these are no longer Ford supported? Who's doing the software on these?

I got my hands on a NGS tester; and have got to the following:

the PCM shows its giving out a 75% duty cycle to the REM fuel module; but the Fuel Pump Fault is toggling between yes/no; its on YES more than NO.

Unfortunately I ran out of time but was going to check and see if I can see if the PCM is really outputing a duty cycle; is there an easy place to check this?

The ABS module is also complaining of a RR wheel sensor input problem -- probably cause of the traction control message...

Also; where are the connectors to the PCM? Are they in the RF wheel well? I couldn't see them in the engine compartment anywhere according to the service manual?

pcm is mounted sort of behind/under the glovebox. the side with the connectors goes THROUGH the firewall into the engine compartment. I believe you are supposed to access all of this from the interior and by removing the glovebox.

I should of seen this on the schematics; but it was not until the RR wheel sensor ckt failure DTC did I notice that the Fuel Pump output from the PCM as well as the wheel sensor inputs go through the same stupid connector (C144).

I tore apart the covers and found the connector was partially unplugged; don't know how it got that way; but I reconnected it and it snapped closed; and is secure....

Car started up and all error messages cleared.

Thanks for everyone's help.

C144 is located below the fuse panel by the RF passenger door.

You have to remove the plastic kick panel and its at the bottom where the carpet and kick panel would meet.

I figure that my wife must of pressed down her foot and pulled on the wire harness which runs under the carpet and pulled the connector loose.

That just goes to show ya that most times it's the simple things that get ya.

Members online

Back