Check Engine Light?

TNT_Tile

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Lincoln LS 3.0L V6. I recently developed a problem when the weather got cold. Below 40 degrees the engine took multiple cranks to start. I thought it may just be low voltage since the original battery was in the car so I changed it but fixed nothing. I have also change the spark plugs to Bosch Platinum 2's with no change. I only have 48,000 miles on the car and I am reading five codes. The Codes are:

Fuel pump control out of range
Throttle actuator control motor
ECM internal communication error
Throttle actuator control motor processor
Throttle actuator control system-forced engine shut down

I have tried replacing the coils but used aftermarket parts from ebay and I don't think they were any good. The car ran worse until I put in the original coils. I plan on changing the fuel filter and checking the injectors but have no idea where else to start. The car runs good most of the time but has gone into safe mode. I also still have trouble at start up unless the car is warm. Once warm it starts first try. The engine feels like it misfires at idle but engine runs better under throttle. Any help would be appreciated. I wrote to ford about the problems trying to get the coils replace, but was told the customer satisfaction program was only for V8 owners.

I know you said no change with the Bosch, the Lincoln LS doesn't always like Bosch.

I would replace all the plugs with the OEM plugs, correctly gap'd, and I would replace all the coils with new OEM coils. Do this before going any further.
If that doesn't correct everything, then start going after each problem. The 03 do have a known throttle body defect, so you might have a bad one.
It is possible that your fuel pump is worn out.
Next time, post the actual OBDII numbers, and not the description.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am at my mechanics house now. All of my codes are coming back to an ECM problem. I don't know how far to go before taking it to the dealer. I have not had any misfires or problems with the engine running. I will try and change back to OEM plugs and post what we look at today.

The car will start if I turn on the aux for 5 min and mash my foot on the gas. If the car has been driven for the past two hours everything starts fine.

Just so happens that when I need the car to run bad it is running perfect.

Accomplished little. Changed oil and fuel filter while I was at it but fixed nothing. Looked at throtle body and started cleaning. Took off throtle control sensor and herd a click when I was putting it back on. Car started but reved up and down. I am now carless for the weekend until I can get a new one. Didn't know I needed a fuel line tool to get the fuel filter off, but picked one up for cheap. Don't know if this could have anything to do with my problem, but at least I'll have another new part on my car.

Changed throtle control sensor and unplugged battery. Car ran perfect for an hour drive start stop and highway speed. Next morning I started the car and the same trouble starting occured. I guess I am going to break down and replace the coils. I was hoping since I only have 50000 on the car it wouldn't be them yet, but it is an 03. My only issue is if I leave the car sit in auxillery for five minutes and then start it cranks right over. Anyone know the best place to order Ford OEM parts online? I would rather not go through the local dealers. Thanks for any help.

Max at Five Star Ford. (Look to the right.)

Its been a long time since I thought the problem was solved. Finally switched out all the plugs and coils. Tested the fuel pressure and realized a seperate issue. A bad coil was causing my misfires but the cold start is a whole new issue. Testing the fuel rail turned up the fact that on cold starts the cooling fan starts up and the fuel pump will not come on untill it stops. Pressure is perfect once it does but will not start untill cooling fan turns off. Cooling fan comes on at auxillary power for first 2 to 5 min when car is cold. Any ideas on how the fuel pump and cooling fans are linked would be appreciated. I am looking for an OEM repair manual but any input would be welcomed. Thanks.

Thanks for the link, hoping to find one cheaper but it is most likely worth every dollar. Not sure if the on disc ones are as comprehensive. I know if I keep the car Ill get my money out of it. The froogle side of me says buy it, the cheap side of me says buy the cd rom, realize its not what I need, and then go and buy it.

Its been a long time since I thought the problem was solved. Finally switched out all the plugs and coils. Tested the fuel pressure and realized a seperate issue. A bad coil was causing my misfires but the cold start is a whole new issue. Testing the fuel rail turned up the fact that on cold starts the cooling fan starts up and the fuel pump will not come on untill it stops. Pressure is perfect once it does but will not start untill cooling fan turns off. Cooling fan comes on at auxillary power for first 2 to 5 min when car is cold. Any ideas on how the fuel pump and cooling fans are linked would be appreciated. I am looking for an OEM repair manual but any input would be welcomed. Thanks.

he is the wiring for the cooling fan on a 2003 , I do see a fuel charge sensor tied in with the fans.

Attachments

• cooling.doc
    187 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Thanks for the diagram. I'll have to see if it helps my machanic fix the problem. Took long enough just to figure out that when the cooling fan came on at start up the fuel pump did not. Now I just need to figure out a way to fix it. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue. Car runs absolutly great after start up it is just anoying having to wait for fans to shut down before starting the car. Want to try and fix the issue before it turns into something more then what it is. I do have a slight power steering leak from the switch on the pressure fiting from the steering rack to the pump and not sure if it is causing the problem or what it could be. Again Thank everyone for any feed back. Id love to just take the car to Lincoln and have them do everything but with two kids and wife my one income doesnt allow me to spend that kind of money unless absoloutely neccessary.

Anyone have any ideas of what i am looking at for dealer to take a look at problem. Looking for worse case scenario, just signed papers on a new house and would like to get car taken care of before new neibors start wondering why I sit with my cooling fan on for 10 minutes every morning waiting for car to start.

Anyone have any ideas of what i am looking at for dealer to take a look at problem. Looking for worse case scenario, just signed papers on a new house and would like to get car taken care of before new neibors start wondering why I sit with my cooling fan on for 10 minutes every morning waiting for car to start.

That depends on what area you are in. The standard diagnostic charge runs from about $100 to about $200. That charge covers whatever amount of time may be required to figure out the problem. It doesn't cover fixing the problem, but if you decide not to have them fix it, you only owe the diagnostic charge.

sounds good, ill check around. I have lincoln dealership up the road but a buddy works for ford and may be able to swing me a little better deal.

Members online

No members online now.
Back