check engine light

95ltc

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
my check engine light came on and i got one of those testers, its an eg filter thats bad. i guess it has to do with smog, the car still runs great. does anybody know how much it will cost to fix this problem? thanks alot.

ps- i have a 95 ltc.

95ltc said:
my check engine light came on and i got one of those testers, its an eg filter thats bad. i guess it has to do with smog, the car still runs great. does anybody know how much it will cost to fix this problem? thanks alot.

ps- i have a 95 ltc.

What on earth is a eg filter? And where is it located?

Most likely it will be under 20 bucks, because I've bought like 10 filters from discont auto parts, and none were above that.

the egr passages underneith the trottlebody elbow get pluged up with carbon causing a lack of egr flow.cleaning the ports usually fixes the problem.

l-m tech said:
the egr passages underneith the trottlebody elbow get pluged up with carbon causing a lack of egr flow.cleaning the ports usually fixes the problem.

can I clean it myself?

the other day my dad looked at the egr thing and it looked good....... he says it must be some thing that reads if it is good or not, does any body know about this other thing?

There is nothing to tell you if it is bad or not. All you will get from a code reader is that you have an EGR problem (on the 95's). YOu have to do a visual. I would clean out the intake and remove the EGR and just replace it. Check for errosion, cracks and vacuum line break down. To try and clean the EGR from just cleaning out the intake is a "B"! You will see. I figure if you are going through all the trouble to clean the intake, replace the EGR and be done with it for another 100k miles.. IMO

on a 1990 TC with the 5.0 the on my diagnostic machine i am getting 3 codes... the 2 are for the air bags which i allready knew about, and the third is for the EGR valve, and the EGR valve on a 5.0 is like right there so should i clean it out or replace it? cause it was replaced like 15000 miles ago

Members online

No members online now.
Back