Check engine light on?

rwurst918

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
While going to work this morning my check engine light came on? I just replaced my transmission module and filter. I put back in about four and a half quarts of Mercon V. I do not have any leaks anywhere. I was wondering if anyone knows if low transmission fluid would throw a code and make the check engine light turn on? The car runs very well with the exception of the one second startup knock (Timing Chain Tensioner- Next inline to get fixed). I know I need to go somewhere and get the code but im a little far away from anywhere that can do it right now.

Transmission issues can turn the check engine light on. Transmission fluid level is not specifically monitored, but extreme level problems (too low or too high) can cause fluid pressure problems that can turn the light on. Of course, it could just as well be something else.

what the F!#$%

My car is running cold constantly now. I did the OBD 2 test and it told me the thermostat is possibly bad. I did open up the coolant reservoir about a month ago to check the quality of the antifreeze. I did not bleed the system after i was done. I know i should have but i was in a hurry. Would this possibly throw a code that the thermostat is bad or am i in for bigger trouble than i think?

My car is running cold constantly now. I did the OBD 2 test and it told me the thermostat is possibly bad. I did open up the coolant reservoir about a month ago to check the quality of the antifreeze. I did not bleed the system after i was done. I know i should have but i was in a hurry. Would this possibly throw a code that the thermostat is bad or am i in for bigger trouble than i think?

If you just took the cap off the degas bottle, then that didn't let any air in. I would assume that the thermostat has indeed failed. It's not a big deal to change out. If you have a gen II, I would change the front thermostat housing and the rear one (coolant outlet pipe). They get soft with age and are likely to crack while you are changing the thermostat.

Son of a B!tch

If you just took the cap off the degas bottle, then that didn't let any air in. I would assume that the thermostat has indeed failed. It's not a big deal to change out. If you have a gen II, I would change the front thermostat housing and the rear one (coolant outlet pipe). They get soft with age and are likely to crack while you are changing the thermostat.

Joe. You are a genius. The housing was busted where the thermostat pin sets in. You should get paid for this kind of stuff. I am wondering why Ford would make the housing out of plastic. It is an expensive piece of plastic that probably breaks a lot. I think the thermostat pin actually broke the housing because the thermostat pin was extended down all the way and the plastic was still partially intact. The broken housing pieces did not make their way into the cooling system. Thank you for your help.

Members online

No members online now.
Back