check engine light help!!!!

cinz4064

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i got a friends scanner to check the light and it said lean mixture in banks 1 and 2 also check mass air does anyone know what should be done. when crusing on the highway or even the streets its like the motor twitches . when you step on the gas theres a loss of power at lower speeds and some backfiring at lower rpms mostly she just doesnt take off like she did when i first got her sometimes she gives and sometimes she doesnt any help would be great

9 times out of 10 those ERROR codes mean you have a significant vacuum leak.

Sorry to sound redundant.. but please list the year model of your car and maybe we can give you a good place to "start looking".

An Intech in a 96? Dang!

Anyway. I agree that its a vacuum leak or your MAF is messed up/unplugged.

If you have removed your intake tube recently I suggest you also check where it seals to the throttle body.

You can try a can of ether spray around the engine to detect leaks. It will make the RPM climb.

this would also explain the loss in fuel economy i guess we already replaced the intake gasket maybe the one under the throttle body needs to be done too thanks for your help i also tried swapping out the mass air sensor with a part i took out of a working 95 is it the same sensor ?

Not the gasket under the TB, I am talking where the TB meets the intake tube. Its a VERY common failure point. I bet most here have done it by mistake. They can go bad too, but usually they are not seated just right.

I am not sure about the MAF in a 95 versus 96. 96 is ODB II and a lot was changed. So I cant say they are swappable.

I would recommend taking off the intake tube, removing the MAF to clean it and check the seating of the intake. At the same time you have all this off check for other vacuum leaks.

This is also a common problem. Towards the back of the intake: (note sure whos pic this is)

vacuumline.jpg

The 96 sensor is compatible with 96-98.... That 95 MAF could be causing an issue too.

I would vote for a vacuum leak though...

This is also a common problem. Towards the back of the intake: (note sure whos pic this is)

vacuumline.jpg

I agree with Unity that probably IS the source of the leak on a first gen
On my first gen that "T" did almost exactly as pictured above.

at first glance it seemed to be an easy fix, until you try to source out the "female ended rubber T".most stores wont have that configuration

SO

I used a brass male ended T and three small sections of hoses on the end.. WALA a brass T with female ends.

..never had a problem there again.

Oh... you don't have the 64 valve Intech, huh? That sucks.

I didn't know they made a 32 Valve intech. I thought all of the Intech motors were 64 valve. :/

i am not sure if this is sarcasm or if you are serious, but 64 valves would be 8 valves per cylinder and four cams per side = 8 cams = very heavy

i am not sure if this is sarcasm or if you are serious, but 64 valves would be 8 valves per cylinder and four cams per side = 8 cams = very heavy

Danny.... we were being very sarcastic. :) And FYI you would not need 8 cams.

95 MAFS will not fuunction properly on an obd2 car. It may be contaminated... Try cleaning it... But also check for vacuum leaks.

We have no reached the impass of the owner will need to pop the hood and do something before we can help anymore...

this would also explain the loss in fuel economy i guess we already replaced the intake gasket maybe the one under the throttle body needs to be done too thanks for your help i also tried swapping out the mass air sensor with a part i took out of a working 95 is it the same sensor ?

You said you already replaced the intake gaskets, and you still have the lean codes.. you might want to do as suggested many times and getting a can of Ether (Unity said) /Starting Fluid {As I said) and actually troubleshoot the situation.

We can take "pot shot guesses" from now til Christmas, but until you actually follow some of the advice been given to you..all bets are off.

I'd spray around this "new intake gasket" as well... just because it's "new" doesnt mean it's not leaking.

Members online

No members online now.
Back