Check Engine Light - EECM

katz_blk90se

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Need some info here...After about two miles or so, my check engine light comes on and stays on. If I stop the car and kill the ignition, then start it, and drive, the light will come on again after two miles. Short of taking it in to the shop for a 65 dollar diagnostic check, what can I do to troubleshoot it. The owners manual says it is a problem with the electronic engine control module and to have the car serviced. The only thing that has happened recently to the car that may have an impact is that the overdrive went out and the AAMCO guys held up their end of the warranty and fixed it for free. Thats when the check engine light came on for the first time was after I left the tranny guys. This was Saturday night after they had closed. Until the tranny work was done, I didnt have a problem with the check engine light. Coincidence? Or could the AAMCO guys have messed something up? The car is a 90 SE with 103K. Thanks in advance for any tips or assistance.

The easiest way to figure that out is to pull the codes from the ECC

AZLSC said:
The easiest way to figure that out is to pull the codes from the ECC

Is the test connector located right by the air intake box that holds the air filter? That is the only one I see that will fit the code reader.

Yes. Thats the diag connector. There is a little single wire laying next to it that also needs to be plugged in.
Random thought, check your oxygen sensor connections. If they were under the car working on the tranny, perhaps one of those got knocked loose or the wire burnt through from laying on the exhaust. You should be able to see the O2 sensors from the top. They'd be just below the headers and above the first set of catalytic converters screwed into the exhaust.

OK, that was it. Put some batteries in the code reader and came up with a code 41, which according to the code reader guide book means "EGO sensor signal out of range (ex. 5.0L SEFI); fuel pressure out of range - 5.0L SEFI / always lean". OK, now I need someone to decipher that statement into plain english and tell me what the next step is. I am a novice at engines/transmissions and am pretty much learning as I go. Thanks again for any help....

Members online

No members online now.
Back