check charging system- battery light on-overcharging of battery

pciamp24

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am new to the site and love that I have found people with a Lincoln like mine that may have similar issues.

I have had my 2001 Lincoln Continental for 4 and a half years. It has 124k miles. I have only put approx 30k miles on it in the 4 and a half years.- 8 cylinder 3.7

Here is my question/problem.

A few weeks ago I got a dead battery. It wouls start if jump started. The battery was originally replaced 3/10. The check charging system message displayed, battery light came on, lights dimmed, radio died, check traction control warning came on, ac kicking on and off and then wont hold a charge.

I replaced the battery and was told that the battery was being OVERCHARGED and that it could be my ECM instead of my alternator and I would need to bring to the dealer to fix!!

Is it possible that its a bad regulator in the alternator instead?

Thanks for any feedback,
Paul

Is it possible that its a bad regulator in the alternator instead?

yes. alternator charges the battery. the ecm does not.

The check charging system message displayed, battery light came on, lights dimmed, radio died, check traction control warning came on, ac kicking on and off and then wont hold a charge.

very common symptoms of a dead or dying alternator.

I replaced the battery and was told that the battery was being OVERCHARGED

hmmm. certainly possible, if the regulator took a dump, it will do strange strange things.

how many miles you got? 124k? replace the alternator and go from there. but i bet that clears it up. at least get it tested. even autozone can do that.

how many miles you got? 124k? replace the alternator and go from there. but i bet that clears it up. at least get it tested. even autozone can do that.

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the feedback. I had the alternator tested and was told that it was OVER 14.8 or something higher then normal. Thats why I am concerned that I am being told to have my ECM checked by the dealer. That sounds like big money.

Paul

the ecm just turns on the alternator. the voltage regulator needs to be "excited." basically, you apply 12 volts and the alt will start charging, remove it, it stops charging. that is the 3 wire plug on top of the alt. (which actually only uses 2 wires.)
the ecm does not control the voltage. the regulator is bad. replace it.

The regulator is bad and it can be replaced. Look the part up online. It is very easy to change in the alternator. Even if you buy a reman alternator, I advise you to verify the regulator had been changed.

The EEC does not control the charging system - the Ford service manual clearly states the regulator runs the charging system. Sadly, the same book only advises to replace the alternator when the regulator is bad.

Members online

Back