check charging system and dealer trying to rip me off (i think)

loveLSE

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Im now getting check charging system warning and battery light comes on few seconds after I start the car.
i did notice that voltage was slightly above 12V (with engine on).
I replaced the alternator and with engine on it's slightly above 14V, which is where it should be (with engine off, it's about 12.5V).
so all looked good but I still get the check charging system message and battery light. Car starts and runs fine.
so I took it to dealer just to make sure there isnt anything wrong (new to Miami so dont know where to go- went to Metro Ford up by north of dwtw Miami). they said that alternator is overcharging at 16V and will burn out and that there's problem with computer and needs to be replaced ($600 for the computer and $1000 to install). while they were looking at this issue, they called me to say that my ABS warning lights came on along with advancetrack warning ($1300 to fix that).
At that point, I said dont touch anything, Im coming to pick up the car ASAP. I got my car back, according to my voltameter, voltages are where it should be when engine is off and on. AND absolutely no sign of ABS/Advancetrack warning they were talking about. I thought they were trying to rip me off. with WA plates, maybe they thought I looked out of place in Miami and try to pull one on me.

Anyone else have check charging system message? could this computer thing be for real?
is there anything that I can check? should I change out the battery as well?

Last edited:
They are blowing your wistle...get quote from diffrent ppl or check Lincolns website for a local one near you...Only thing I've ever paid over 1k for a repaire/install was for a new engine in my LS after 75k miles

If your willing to drive up to Hollywood, which is not to far from Downtown Miami, I can give you an honest mechanics contact info, my brother and I have been going to him for years now and I will drive the 45 mins to go to him rather than the dealer that is 5 mins away.

Lol I just noticed he lives in seattle near me, dude check out Lincoln Mercury of Bellevue right off 405 and 5th street. They are pretty good guys....talk to Jason in services and he'll help you out....

the dealership are crooks. everything is always so expensive and most of the time they'll misdiagnoise ur problem. i only go the dealership for engine work.

Members online

No members online now.
Back