Check brake light on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

surfaaron

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
It is me once again. This morning as I was pulling out of the garage and my check brake light went on then off then on again then off. I started to drive to work and when I put the brakes on it went on again. When I released them it went off again but then when I put them on again it stayed on. What is the deal. Were should I start. :slam

Sounds like a bad accumulator. Is it the red "BRAKE" light or the amber "Check ABS" light that is coming on? Check your fluid level, as well as the condition of the brake fluid. If the brakes have not been flush recently, that is a good place to start.

JoshMcMadMac said:
Sounds like a bad accumulator. Is it the red "BRAKE" light or the amber "Check ABS" light that is coming on? Check your fluid level, as well as the condition of the brake fluid. If the brakes have not been flush recently, that is a good place to start.

It is the "check abs" light. If the fluid is old could it cause the light to come on? Where is the accumulator and how can I tell if it is bad?

surfaaron said:
It is the "check abs" light. If the fluid is old could it cause the light to come on? Where is the accumulator and how can I tell if it is bad?
The accumulator is in the engine compartment next to the master cylinder. With the key on, engine off, pump the brake pedal. Pump it until you hear a "buzzing" noise from under the hood. If it takes several pumps before it makes noise, your accumulator is ok. If it buzzes as you pump each time, it is weak and needs to be replaced. Dirty fluid in and of itself will not trigger the light. However, it will damage components, thus causing trouble and the light comes on.

JoshMcMadMac said:
The accumulator is in the engine compartment next to the master cylinder. With the key on, engine off, pump the brake pedal. Pump it until you hear a "buzzing" noise from under the hood. If it takes several pumps before it makes noise, your accumulator is ok. If it buzzes as you pump each time, it is weak and needs to be replaced. Dirty fluid in and of itself will not trigger the light. However, it will damage components, thus causing trouble and the light comes on.

Anything else to look at? Would it be best to take it and have the fluid flushed or do it my self? Any tricks?

JoshMcMadMac said:

I pumped the brakes and it came on after two pumps every time. Also it came on when I turned the key to the on position. What do you think. Also the light is not on know, it comes on then goes out like normal. What the....!

surfaaron said:
I pumped the brakes and it came on after two pumps every time. Also it came on when I turned the key to the on position. What do you think. Also the light is not on know, it comes on then goes out like normal. What the....!

It sounds like your accumulator may be weak, but not all the way gone yet. It should last 3-4 pumps before kicking in. However, this is probably not enough to cause the light to come on. Mine was weaker than that and did not throw a light. Also, since the light is intermittent I would think it might be a bad ABS sensor or connection to them. I would start with a fluid flush. You can check out this site, and the bottom portion will tell you how to properly flush the system: http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article21.html This is the only instruction I used to flush mine, and the fluid was in horrible shape. It was almost black when I started! Just be sure to follow instructions very closely or you will end up with a spongy or hard pedal and have to repeat the process.

By the book, based on an intermittent amber light and no red brake light:

VERIFY FLI (Fluid Level Indicator) OPERATION. REPLACE IF FAULTY.
REPLACE PRESSURE WARNING SWITCH.
REPLACE PUMP MOTOR RELAY.

"I'm not a mechanic. I just play one on the internet."
- Joh Dancy

OldSchool1 said:
By the book, based on an intermittent amber light and no red brake light:

VERIFY FLI (Fluid Level Indicator) OPERATION. REPLACE IF FAULTY.
REPLACE PRESSURE WARNING SWITCH.
REPLACE PUMP MOTOR RELAY.

"I'm not a mechanic. I just play one on the internet."
- Joh Dancy

Thanks for the info. What book did you get it from? Also were is the pump motor relay? I have found the rest of the stuff. Thanks again for all your help. I really do apreciate it.

surfaaron said:
Thanks for the info. What book did you get it from? Also were is the pump motor relay? I have found the rest of the stuff. Thanks again for all your help. I really do apreciate it.
Ford Shop Manual. Check on Ebay for a good deal on one. It's worth the investment. The relay is on the firewall, under a small black "cover" just inboard of the master cylinder. However, I do not believe that it is at fault at this point. The easiest way to check is to disconnect it and short the circuit with something like a paper clip. If the accumulator kicks in when you short the system, the relay is fine.

JoshMcMadMac said:
Ford Shop Manual. Check on Ebay for a good deal on one. It's worth the investment. The relay is on the firewall, under a small black "cover" just inboard of the master cylinder. However, I do not believe that it is at fault at this point. The easiest way to check is to disconnect it and short the circuit with something like a paper clip. If the accumulator kicks in when you short the system, the relay is fine.

I did buy one on ebay but I did not find that info in the book? It is for a 89 (mine is a 87) but I have been told it will work for mine. Were is it in the book.I have driven it for the last two days with no light on? I am still going to flush the brake and clean all the contacts. Thanks again for all the help. Time to get back to work on it. Good thing the surf has not been good other wise I would never get any work done. I will let you know what I figure out.

surfaaron said:
Thanks for the info.
You're welcome.
surfaaron said:
What book did you get it from?
Car Shop Manual 1989 Mark VII Body/Chassis/Electrical/Powertrain
FPS-12192-89
DIV-1400
surfaaron said:
Also were is the pump motor relay?
Whoops. Don't have my EVM with me. I'l have to answer that from home.
surfaaron said:
I have found the rest of the stuff. Thanks again for all your help. I really do apreciate it.
You're welcome. 75% of the stuff I know (which really isn't much) was probably learned from here. 20% came from manuals and 5% came from me saying !@#$ every other Saturday under the hood of one of the cars :)

OldSchool1 said:
You're welcome.

Car Shop Manual 1989 Mark VII Body/Chassis/Electrical/Powertrain
FPS-12192-89
DIV-1400

Whoops. Don't have my EVM with me. I'l have to answer that from home.

You're welcome. 75% of the stuff I know (which really isn't much) was probably learned from here. 20% came from manuals and 5% came from me saying !@#$ every other Saturday under the hood of one of the cars :)

Were you able to find out where the pump motor relay is?Also what section(page) did you find the info about the light and what relays to check?Thanks again for the help.

surfaaron said:
Were you able to find out where the pump motor relay is?Also what section(page) did you find the info about the light and what relays to check?Thanks again for the help.
Thanks for the reminder (this is what happens when you get old).

"Hydrolic Pump Motor Relay ... front of dash, behind brake master cylinder."

Ofcorse I cannot tell you where in the book it told me this because I lent it to OMEGA (Dave).

Dude. You have GOT to own a shop manual if you want to work on your car.

not to sound like a moron, but this sounds like what is happening w/my lsc, driving home, smelled like ebrake was stuck on, checked heat from wheels found rear alot hotter than the frt, both lights illuminate intermitently at start up, 45 sec, ran code w/snap on reader, no codes present. on innitial start accum. kicks on w/out touch brake, then every other press. Oh yeah on the way home also felt like brake pulse/abs activation, but not excessive. sounds like thats what i need to start with.

is the accumulutar supposed to cycle automatically on innitial start?

Members online

No members online now.
Back