check advanc-trac

TheRebel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Everytime I turn my advanc-trac off and try to power brake (sst mode 1st gear) I get a check advanc-trac error on the dash display. I took it to the dealer and they said the car isn't throwing any codes and don't know whats up. I don't really want to tell them what I am trying to do. That might look bad for my warrenty. Anyone here have any ideas? Its a 03 Sport. Thanks

TheRebel said:
Everytime I turn my advanc-trac off and try to power brake (sst mode 1st gear) I get a check advanc-trac error on the dash display. I took it to the dealer and they said the car isn't throwing any codes and don't know whats up. I don't really want to tell them what I am trying to do. That might look bad for my warrenty. Anyone here have any ideas? Its a 03 Sport. Thanks
I'm not sure whether this is correct or not because you say you turn off your advancetrac, however, your advancetrac uses wheel speed sensors (among other sensors) to operate. If your back wheels are spinning and your front ones aren't, its going to detect a difference between the wheels, thus throwing a light.

I may be wrong, but i think i have seen that power brakes and such will f-up your tranny in the LS. There is a dropoff in the pavement on a road i drive all the time. Everytime my rear wheels hit the dropoff my light goes off. I think it knows when your front and rear wheels dont match.

mholhut said:
Can you still spin the tires over with the advancetrac off?
nope, The engine just bogs down when I try powerbraking, however I can spin the tires a little if advanc-trac is off and I gun it around a corner.

Powerbraking is a good way to find out what a rebuild costs.

Unless your tranny is built to handle powerbraking, I think the LS is NOT, you should not do this.

As far as throwing codes, I would expect with the Advance Track off, the computer is not looking for differences in the wheel spin and won't thow codes, but it might flag the difference by displaying the message. The system is telling you there is something funny going on, in your case probably just wheel spin. I get this when I go too fast over a bump/turn and catch a little air.

Back to power braking... Powerbraking looks cool and maybe works OK some times, but continued power braking builds a lot of heat fast which kills trannies. Plus if you are really unlucky and the LS has a whimpy torque converter, you have a good chance of "ballooning" the torque converter and then you are really up a creek without a paddle. If a dealer sees a ballooned converter, say good by to your warranty. I don't think the LS makes enough torque to balloon the converter but my opinion of the tranny on these cars is not good.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Thanks for the warning. I don't power brake very often. Hell I haven't even done it once in this car since I've own it because it won't. All my other vehicles are manuals so I don't have to power brake. But I felt pretty lousey when I went the the strip awhile back and couldn't smoke the tires a little bit. My dealership is pretty good about the warrenty. But its one of those situations of don't tell and don't ask. The service manager kind of hinted like. Yeah we don't mind working on warrenty claims because that is just extra money/business for us. My warrenty is through a different company that the dealership supports. However there are exceptions and I can see where you are coming from and I don't want to turn this post into a warrenty arguement. I promise I don't want to powerbrake a whole lot, I'm just peranoid that something might be wrong with the car since it won't do it all

I have the same thing on my 03. The rev limiter won't let you spin the tires and if I let off the brake quickly the advance track freaks out even if it's turned off. I know it's not good to power brake but... c'mon we got to have a little fun from time to time.

i only done powerbrakes like 2 times in my LS and i have a 04 and i do it fairly easy - i get no advanced track warnings or anything like that --

chocolat1701 said:
i only done powerbrakes like 2 times in my LS and i have a 04 and i do it fairly easy - i get no advanced track warnings or anything like that --

do you have any mods? A tune would eliminate the rev limiter...

NO mods whats so ever - im 100% stock cuz im still under warrenty and dont want to mess that up - after the warranty is over i will get some flowmasters 40, knm intake from lsconcepts and the xcal tune

Yesterday I left the battery unhooked while I changed my spark plugs. After the plug change my car will power brake again. I don't know if it was the plugs or resetting the car that fixed my problem, but I have 68,000 miles and the plugs were worn. Unfortunatley I had some oil in the plug wells, so guess what my project is next week unless I can get the dealer to warrenty the VC gaskets.

Changing my spark plugs got my tires spinning again. However, I had oil in my plug wells so I need to change the VC gaskets or get the dealer to warrenty them. I've been through two tunes with Torrie and the car hasn't started. I had an odd strategy. Torrie thinks the dealer reflashed my car at some point in time. I am downloading a tune as we speak (I hate dialup). I'll go see how it does as soon as the tune is loaded. But yes the spark plugs fixed my problem.

AH HA, now I know how you guys feel with an XCAL. This is great, now I don't need to power brake. I can scratch the tires (slightly) by just nailing the throttle with the advance track off. I hope I can go to the strip this weekend. Oh crap my VC gaskets. Hmm priorities......................

TheRebel said:
nope, The engine just bogs down when I try powerbraking, however I can spin the tires a little if advanc-trac is off and I gun it around a corner.

Are you certain that you actually have disabled AdvanceTrac completely? Just pressing the button doesn't do it, even though the display says "AdvanceTrac OFF". Doing this only disables the stability control, not traction control. To disable traction control as well, you need to hold the button for more than 5 seconds. It's in the manual!

macboy said:
Are you certain that you actually have disabled AdvanceTrac completely? Just pressing the button doesn't do it, even though the display says "AdvanceTrac OFF". Doing this only disables the stability control, not traction control. To disable traction control as well, you need to hold the button for more than 5 seconds. It's in the manual!

That's true, it is in the manual and I didn't notice it! So I just went out and tried it but it didn't make any difference... maybe it's for my own good

macboy said:

Yep that is how I always turn the advance trac off (hold the button for 5 or more secs) I think my problem was related to the plugs. Thanks for the input though.

damn TheRebel you jinxed me i tried powerbraking today and i had the same issue your having now -- hmm i will try reseting my power by disconecting my battery and i will tell you the results if it doesnt work then i may have oil in my plugs like you....

Members online

Back