Cheap set of 5x108 wheels for some inexpensive winter tires?

theg1ft

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations on what I need to look for in a set of cheap wheels to mount some winter tires on? Want to stay as low cost as possible. Don't care what it looks like.

Figure out what size rims you have now, (diameter and width), and buy a basic steel version.

Then get some "winter tires" that match the size tires you have on your LS now.

You have to put the same size rims and tires on it that it came with... otherwise it will throw off your speedo... and... play games with your wheel speed sensors. If that happens you might find the car braking when it shouldn't... or not braking when it should. It will also mess with the traction control too.

Figure out what size rims you have now, (diameter and width), and buy a basic steel version.

Then get some "winter tires" that match the size tires you have on your LS now.

You have to put the same size rims and tires on it that it came with... otherwise it will throw off your speedo... and... play games with your wheel speed sensors. If that happens you might find the car braking when it shouldn't... or not braking when it should. It will also mess with the traction control too.

Got it. So sell my LS and buy a truck.

LOL... that is an option.

Seriously though... if you buy good tires there shouldn't be much of an issue. The LS actually does pretty good in snow with the right tread.

Don't know what kind of rims you have now... but if you keep them clean they should hold up ok.

LOL... that is an option.

Seriously though... if you buy good tires there shouldn't be much of an issue. The LS actually does pretty good in snow with the right tread.

Don't know what kind of rims you have now... but if you keep them clean they should hold up ok.

Thanks for the help. I suspected issues you mentioned with different size rims. My trans isn't doing so hot.... AND it was rebuilt. I think it was from using manual shift when I was... you guessed it... struggling on iced roads... I guess you aren't supposed to do that once you have done the rebuild kit for the 5r55s? Idk. The trans shop in the Puget Sound area I took it to offered a lifetime warranty if you stay in the state and get your trans fluid changed by them every 12k miles... terrible warranty. I was desperate and stupid.

the only thing changing the tire size is going to do is throw your speedometer off unless you put two different sizes on, if they're all the same that's the only thing that's going to change. Traction control will work fine as long as all tires are the same size. Traction control systems work by detecting different speeds from different tires, nothing is going to throw that off unless the tires are different sizes from each other.

...Traction control will work fine as long as all tires are the same size. Traction control systems work by detecting different speeds from different tires, nothing is going to throw that off unless the tires are different sizes from each other.

It's a little more sophisticated than just that. The system also looks at the change in the rate of acceleration/deceleration on each wheel to determine when traction is being lost.
AdvanceTrac goes further than that and also looks at the direction the car is moving compared to the direction the front wheels are pointed in.

Perhaps so, but all that data will be consistent if the tire size is the same. I guess I don't know everything about these cars to say definitively, but my 10-year newer trucks with more advanced traction control systems doesn't have any issues changing tire sizes as long as you keep them all the same size. However you are a wealth of information on this forum and I haven't seen you say anything incorrect yet so I'm not going to say you're wrong, I'm just going to say my experiences with different vehicles and different tire sizes have not caused me any issues, though they have all been 2010 and newer, they have all been trucks as well, but they were all top trim level with the best traction control systems you can get. many people put different sized aftermarket tires on their vehicles and these cars even originally came with different size wheels so I don't see this causing a problem, however I'm not going to say I'm 100% correct just for disclaimer purposes, LOL

Changing the diameter of the tire can throw a false reading to the wheel speed sensors. Maybe not so critcal if the diameter is upsized... but if the tire diameter is downsized... that equates to more revolutions per mile.

If a drastic enough change is made without reprogramming the computer... the computer will think the tires are spinning/slipping... and apply the ABS.

If the tire diameter is upsized... the potential is there for the wheel speed sensors to not detect wheel lockup as quick as it should... which can delay the application of the ABS. Not the best thing considering the rotational mass of a larger rim and tire.

Last edited:
In the last 2-4 months... there was a member that was having an issue with the ABS system. He had bought an LS that had 22" rims and tires on it.

He downsized to the factory rims and tires... and had issues with the ABS system giving false triggers and didn't know why.

It was never determined or diagnosed, but the original owner that put the 22's on probably had the computer, (speedo), programmed for the oversized rims and tires. Then when the new owner went back to factory size rims and tires... the computer, (based on the speedo reading), thought the wheels were turning too fast, (according to the wheel speed sensors), and was applying the ABS.

Yeah I guess I could see if you changed it by a lot you could potentially have an issue, maybe. I'm still skeptical though if they're all the same size. Anyways you should be able to get a different size rim and tire combo to match the overall height of whatever is on it right now pretty easily, I really don't think it's going to be a problem. Certainly not against the gain of better traction of the tires on ice, I'd rather have good tires than anti-lock brakes on ice any day but I'm old and know how to drive without all these Nanny systems. My first vehicle was a 1971 F100. You were your own traction control back then, kinda miss those days, driving was way more fun. Ha

Point is... the OP is going to have $400-600 in winter wheel and tire investment... unless he just has winter tires mounted to his existing rims.

Tire cables, (not chains, unless allowed in his State), would be an option too.

Unless the plan is to jack the LS up like a monster truck, you won't be able to get wheels enough bigger for it to cause any real problems with the traction control, abs, or AdvanceTrac. I was just explaining that it is not quite as simple as most people seem to assume.

It can be a worthy investment depending on your ability to drive and how much ice you have to deal with it and how many miles you put on them. swap the same set on and off and balanced a few times and you're up to 400 bucks pretty fast anyways. A lot nicer to have a second set of rims you can swap yourself instead of paying someone 150 dollars twice a year to swap your tires around. Provided of course you have storage space and ability I guess. I typically used my winter tires about three or 4 years so it was cheaper for me to buy rims in the long run.

Just use stockers for winter, either LS, Thunderbird, or any of the Jaguar stuff that fits. They're all over eBay

Facebook marketplace ...A guy was selling some stock wheels for $25 dollars and in mint condition...I was going to buy them and resell them but the wife gave me that look lol

FB marketplace is where it's at for used wheels, you can find full sets for under $200 depending on condition. ebay is also an option but shipping will add up, message an offer to buy a full set from a junkyard and they might cut you a deal

Before my 02 LSE was totaled, I had two wheel sets for it. OEM 17" LSE wheels with all seasons (235/50R17)and OEM 16" with snow tires (215/60R16). The two sizes are very similar in overall diameter, so no major speedometer changes.

Snow tires are a great traction improvement over all seasons if you get enough winter driving to justify buying them.

My LSE was totaled with the snow tire set on it. I still have the OEM 17" LSE wheels with good all seasons on them. If you're interested in buying them and picking up in Nebraska works, send me a PM and we can work something out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back