Charlie Rangel: Corrupt Democrat Leadership

Feel free to ignore me and point of the evil that is Rangel, but if you're going to respond directly to a question I posed, at least answer it.

BTW, you're one to speak about spamming "off topic", or is it only this thread that must stay on it?
Done. You're on my ignore list, as you requested, "The Douche." You're welcome to ignore me and my racial, bad taste comments as well.

I would say it's been fun, but since you're a total douche, I won't say that.

LoL, typical Fossten, when he can't get his way after spinning, dancing and flipping, he insults.

You're probably going to take this as an insult, but here's the truth. You're no match for fossten. He doesn't stop. He's chewed up smarter people than you (based on the quality of the posts, no offense), and he'll make you look foolish the longer you play his game. I've seen it many times. You've been here long enough you have too. I admit at first I kinda liked it because the loud-mouthed libs who wouldn't listen to reason that were here when he first came finally got a dose of their own medicine, and then some. I've attempted to dull his 2-edged sword a couple of times in the past, to no avail. C'est la vie. My post above was my attempt to dull yours, and you spit in my face for it. Again, c'est la vie. Enjoy the pissing contest.

Sorry kbob but it looks a little like butt kissin to me.
No offense just callin them as I see them.

IMHO I think Dude can hold his own... I don't agree with him very often but his posts are thought out.

Dude is one of the few Libs who will even post here.....when no Libs post here watch what happens :rolleyes:

I'm still curious why you personally found his comment in poor taste?
And I'm curious what is wrong with you, exactly?

I learned my lesson, thank you. I tried to bridge a gap and get insulted for it. How was Oprah today?

Sorry kbob but it looks a little like butt kissin to me.
No offense just callin them as I see them.

IMHO I think Dude can hold his own... I don't agree with him very often but his posts are thought out.

Dude is one of the few Libs who will even post here.....when no Libs post here watch what happens :rolleyes:
Heh. Look who's butt-kissing now, the guy in the glass house.

And since the goal is to stay on topic-

As mentioned, Fossten made a cultural reference that YOU DID NOT UNDERSTAND.

I have addressed your second point, which is that you disagree with the sentiment of the statement. I responded in a way that demonstrated you were incorrect. Rangel's corruption, and his ability to get away with it, is the result of his political and racial identity.

Report ties $1M Rangel school donation from oil drilling company exec to tax loophole
By Associated Press
8:22 PM EST, November 25, 2008

NEW YORK (AP) _ Rep. Charles Rangel helped preserve a tax loophole for an oil drilling company at the same time the company's executive pledged $1 million to a school to be named in the congressman's honor, according to a published report.

The report in The New York Times is just the latest in a series of revelations about the personal finances and ethics of the long-serving New York Democrat who has one of the most powerful posts in Congress — chairman of the tax-writing Ways and Means Committee.

The $1 million pledge for the planned Charles B. Rangel School of Public Service at the City College of New York was made by Nabors Industries Ltd. chief Eugene M. Isenberg.

Rangel denied any improprieties in a statement issued Tuesday evening. "At no time — ever — did I entertain, promote, or secure a tax break or any special favor for anyone as an inducement or reward for a contribution to the City College of New York," Rangel said.

"It is a clear matter of public record that I have consistently opposed retroactive changes to tax law because I believe it is unfair to taxpayers and bad tax policy," he said.

Last year, when the Senate sought to rescind an offshore tax shelter for four companies, including Nabors, Rangel, the newly minted chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, took up their cause, the paper reported. The result, according to a congressional analysis, was that Nabors saved tens of millions of dollars annually and the federal treasury lost $1.1 billion in revenues over a decade.

Isenberg says the school is a worthy cause and he didn't get special treatment. A spokeswoman for the city college, Mary Lou Edmondson declined to release information about other donors, saying the school would have no comment while the ethics committee investigates.

Rangel is under investigation by the House ethics committee for failure to pay taxes on income from a beach house in the Dominican Republic, his use of several rent-stabilized apartments in Harlem, and letters he wrote on congressional stationery trying to drum up donors for the college center named in his honor.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi resisted calls in October for him to lose his chairmanship over those issues, but critics said the new details deserve another look.

"Rep. Rangel's ethics problems continue to mount, yet the ethics committee and the Democratic leadership remain silent," said Melanie Sloan, executive director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, a watchdog group.

A spokesman for Pelosi did not immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment.

Pelosi: Rangel Ethics Probe Will End by Jan. 3

WASHINGTON (AP) -- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said the far-reaching ethics investigation into Rep. Charles Rangel will wrap up by early next year.

Pelosi issued a statement late Wednesday saying she has been assured the report by the House ethics committee will be completed before this session of Congress ends on Jan. 3.

``I look forward to reviewing the report at that time,'' said Pelosi, who has resisted calls from Republicans to remove Rangel from his powerful position atop the tax-writing Ways & Means Committee.

Her announcement puts a ticking clock on an investigation that could have dragged on for many more months, considering how many issues surrounding the personal finances and ethics of the long-serving lawmaker have now been brought before the committee.

Rangel is under scrutiny for not paying taxes on income from a Dominican Republic beach house he owns. The ethics panel is also looking at his living arrangements in New York City for three rent-stabilized apartments, as well as his effort to drum up donors for a college center named in his honor.

Fundraising for the Rangel Center was the subject of new reports this week that a businessman pledged $1 million to the effort while seeking Rangel's help in blocking a change in tax laws that would have cost his company millions more.

The lawmaker, who has been in Congress for nearly 40 years, denied any improprieties in seeking to protect the company's offshore tax shelter, saying: ``At no time -- ever -- did I entertain, promote, or secure a tax break or any special favor for anyone as an inducement or reward for a contribution'' to the Rangel Center.

He has also denied anything untoward in his use of the New York apartments.

As for his personal tax issues, Rangel has paid more than $10,000 owed in back taxes, but insisted he never intentionally dodged any taxes.

Rangel Paid Son $57,500 for Web Work
By CHRISTOPHER COOPER and JOHN R. WILKE

U.S. Rep. Charles Rangel paid $57,500 from a campaign account to a Web-design company owned by his son over two years, paying more for Internet services than any other House member during the same period, according to federal records.

Using campaign funds to pay relatives is legal, as long as the products or services are priced at fair market value.

House Ways and Means Chairman Charles Rangel is currently facing four investigations by the House ethics panel for possible misuse of his office.
Federal records show Rep. Rangel paid Edisonian Innovative Works LLC, which Steven Charles Rangel ran from his Maryland home. Rep. Rangel, 78 years old, a New York Democrat, also lives there when the House is in session, according to his autobiography.

The amount of money paid to Edisonian exceeds what fellow House members paid for similar services during a two-year period beginning in 2005, according to the analysis of federal records by the Center for Responsive Politics, a nonpartisan group that tracks money in politics.

The average House member buying Internet services spent $4,541 on campaign Web sites during that period. Mr. Rangel paid his 40-year-old son $57,500, the analysis shows. The second-highest spender was Rep. Ralph Regula, an Ohio Republican, who paid $44,000 during that period. Seven other congressmen report spending more than $20,000 on their Web sites.

In total, Rep. Rangel's campaign account paid his son's company $79,000 over 30 months, from 2004 to 2007, records show.

A spokesman for the lawmaker, Emile Milne, said Steven Rangel earned less than a Web firm the congressman used in 2004 to perform essentially the same work. During that year, a Brooklyn company called Networked Politics received $41,000 from Rep. Rangel's political action committee and campaign committee, while the junior Rangel received $19,560 for about a half-year of work, Mr. Milne said.

Rep. Rangel, chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, is currently facing several separate House ethics committee investigations for possible misuse of his office reported by the New York Post and New York Times in recent months.

Among the allegations under review by the committee are that he improperly used a rent-subsidized New York apartment as his office; and that he failed to disclose rental income from a luxury villa in the Dominican Republic purchased in part with loans from a lobbyist.

Rep. Rangel denied wrongdoing in the ethics complaints, though he has said that he will restate his financial disclosures, which are required annually from all lawmakers.

Earlier, Rep. Rangel helped his son get a job with the Federal Communications Commission in 2000. The younger Rangel worked on various projects at the FCC in 2000 and 2001, including ensuring telecommunications access on tribal lands, according to commission records. Mr. Rangel through Mr. Milne, the spokesman, acknowledged that he "did make an initial call on Steven's behalf to the FCC -- an agency he had no legislative oversight or responsibility for."

A spokesman for the FCC declined to comment, and Steven Rangel didn't return a call for comment.

After leaving the FCC, Steven Rangel, an ex-Marine, incorporated his Web company in June 2004. The first $9,780 payment from Mr. Rangel's political action committee came a week before the company was incorporated. A second $9,780 payment was made one month later. In 2005, Steven Rangel's company received $22,500 from his father's re-election campaign, and in 2006, the company received another $32,500, federal records show.

It isn't uncommon for congressmen to pay family members small amounts of money for campaign or administrative work. Most lawmakers disclose the names of relatives receiving these payments, although it isn't required. Rep. Rangel's disclosure doesn't indicate his son was associated with Edisonian.

The payments from the Rangel campaign account to Steven Rangel's company ended January 2007, the same month he got a job on the staff of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. The job coincided with the arrival of a new chairman, John Dingell (D., Mich.), a close political ally of Rep. Rangel. (Nice, nepotism also)

"No one is alleging that Steven Rangel performed poorly," Mr. Milne said. He added that Steven Rangel is fully qualified for his House staff job.

A spokeswoman for Rep. Dingell's committee issued a statement calling him "one of the most hard-working members of our staff," who has been involved in both FCC and Food and Drug Administration inquiries. "Steven has been a welcome addition to the committee and would serve any chairman well," the statement said.

A person with direct knowledge of Steven Rangel's hiring on Energy and Commerce said his father helped him get hired. "How does anyone get any gig on Capitol Hill? It's who you know," this person said.

OOPS! CHARLIE FORGOT THIS $1M HOUSE
By CHARLES HURT Bureau Chief
SOLD! Chief tax-writer Charles Rangel racked up a tidy profit on this Harlem house, but initially neglected to report it.
August 28, 2009
Posted: 2:59 am

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Charles Rangel failed to report as much as $1.3 million in outside income -- including up to $1 million for a Harlem building sale -- on financial-disclosure forms he filed between 2002 and 2006, according to newly amended records.

The documents also show the embattled chairman of the Ways and Means Committee -- who is being probed by the House Ethics Committee -- failed to reveal a staggering $3 million in various business transactions over the same period.

This week, Rangel filed drastically revised financial-disclosure forms reflecting new, higher amounts of outside income and numerous additional business deals that had not been reported when the reports were originally filed.

In 2004, for instance, Rangel reported earning between $4,000 and $10,000 in outside earnings on top of his $158,100 congressional salary.

But the amended filings show that after the sale of a property on West 132nd Street, his outside income that year was somewhere between $118,000 and $1.04 million.

The forms filed by House members provide for a range of value on such transactions, so the precise number isn't publicly known.

Rangel also lowballed his income by as much as $70,000 in 2002, $46,000 in 2003 and $117,000 in 2006, records show.

Only in 2005 did Rangel reveal his total outside income.

Members of Congress are required to disclose all their assets and outside income in an effort to expose possible undue influences.

Rangel's office insists the Harlem Democrat did not conceal any outside income from the IRS and is paid up on his taxes.

The Post revealed yesterday that Rangel is in arrears on New Jersey property taxes -- for property that for more than 15 years he failed to disclose to Congress and the public.

Another area of wide discrepancy in his financial-disclosure forms is where he's required to list financial transactions.

Every year between 2002 and 2007, Rangel failed to include all his deals for the year, according to records.

On his 2002 and 2003 financial-disclosure statements, Rangel did not include any transactions whatsoever, according to papers on file with the House clerk.

But the amended records filed this month show as much as $310,000 in business deals in 2002 and up to $80,000 in transactions in 2003.

In 2004, Rangel left off his disclosure form as much as $430,000 in stock transactions, amended records show. One of those deals he did include as a transaction on his original disclosure was the sale of the brownstone on West 132nd Street.

But in the same report, Rangel failed to include proceeds from that sale as outside income. That has been revised in the amended report.

Despite the reported sale, city records still show Rangel is the owner of that property.

His nephew, Ralph, who appears to live in the building, wouldn't answer questions yesterday. Rangel's office declined numerous requests yesterday for explanation.

The problems with Rangel's 2004 disclosure report were so glaring that apparently they caught someone's attention, forcing Rangel to write a letter correcting his failure to fully disclose transactions that year.

"I listed only the real-estate transactions in which we were involved in calendar year 2004 on the transactions schedule because I was not aware of such details as the date and magnitude of the transactions involving our securities holding in the Merrill Lynch account," he wrote in a May 2006 letter to House Clerk Karen Haas.

churt@nypost.com

The Absent-Minded Chairman
Charlie Rangel wins the personal lottery.

Aug 28, 2009
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203706604574376720192072820.html

When normal people happen to "find" their own money, it might mean a twenty left in a winter coat, or discovering change beneath the sofa cushions. But if you're Charlie Rangel, it means doubling your net worth.

Earlier this month the Chairman of the tax-writing Ways and Means Committee "amended" his 2007 financial disclosure form—to the tune of more than a half-million dollars in previously unreported assets and income. That number may be as high as $780,000, because Congress's ethics rules only require the Members to report their finances within broad ranges. This voyage of personal financial discovery brings Mr. Rangel's net worth for 2007 to somewhere between $1.028 million and $2.495 million, while his previous statement came in at $516,015 and $1.316 million.

When you're a powerful Congressman and working diligently to increase tax rates to pay for President Obama's health-care plan, we suppose it's easy to lose track of one of your checking accounts. That would be the one at the federal credit union with a balance somewhere between $250,001 and maybe as high as $500,000. And when you're crunched for time and pulling together bills to pass in a rush, we guess, too, that you might overlook several other investment accounts, even if some of them are sizable, such as the ones Mr. Rangel missed at JP Morgan, Merrill Lynch, Oppenheimer and BlackRock.

Oh, and those vacant properties in Glassboro, in southern Jersey? Everybody in Manhattan tries not to think much about New Jersey, so those lots and their as-much-as-$15,000 value must also have slipped down the memory hole. (The New York Post reported yesterday that Mr. Rangel failed to pay property taxes for two of the lots, according to the county clerk's office.)

View Full Image
1rangel0713
Associated Press
1rangel0713
1rangel0713

The Chairman probably isn't doing a lot of dining at KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell or Long John Silver's, either, which may explain why he didn't disclose the $1,001 to $15,000 in stock he owns in Yum Brands, the conglomerate that runs those chain restaurants. Compared to his undisclosed portfolio stake in PepsiCo—$15,001 to $50,000—that's practically a rounding error.

All lawmakers amend their financial reports from time to time, though rarely are the errors this extensive. Via email, a Rangel spokesman declined to offer details about how the errors occurred, noting that "Once the Ethics Committee completes its work, then we can answer questions in more detail." He added that Mr. Rangel is now "confident that his records have been subjected to an exhaustive and complete review, and that the amendments accurately reflect his financial interests."

Among other issues, Mr. Rangel is currently under investigation regarding his use of four rent-stabilized apartments at New York City's tony Lenox Terrace and soliciting donations with his official letterhead for the Charles B. Rangel Center for Public Service at City College of New York, which was itself built with a $1.9 million earmark. Yet another part of the probe is his failure to report $75,000 in income from a rental villa at the beachfront Punta Cana Yacht Club, in the Dominican Republic.

Mr. Rangel blamed that last one on the language barrier because he doesn't speak Spanish. We can only imagine what language he speaks with his accountants and tax attorneys.

Members online

Back