Charging light turns on randomly

fudge12

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I took the LS for a road trip the other day, while driving the battery symbol would light up and turn off after a while. There is no set interval when it turns on and off, it just does. I have a 00 LS v.6. I checked the battery cable and all looks right and tight (Thanks for tip BigRig!) but still does the same stuff. I still get 13.6v while driving and at idle. Any tips?

failing alt... mine did it for almost 2 years here and there... no pattern, and held voltage... it got worse and worse until it failed.

new alt, never happened again

Haha mine just started doing this the other day. I took a voltage meter to it and can get it down to 12.2 on a heavy load. Time to replace.

Anyone have a write up on here for alt removal? I looked in the service manual, oh fun another tight spot. 02 V8

Fudge, I suggested checking the wiring as an alternative, possible corrosion or loose connections, bad ground kinda thing BUT my first initial response was a failing alternator along with battery. Wouldn't hurt to try and loosen then re-tighten the cable connection at the alt. (as yet another feel good attempt)

Most likely like Loud1 suggests, time to
censored.gif
~ wiggle ~
censored.gif
that alt. out.

GLWR

Haha mine just started doing this the other day. I took a voltage meter to it and can get it down to 12.2 on a heavy load. Time to replace.

Anyone have a write up on here for alt removal? I looked in the service manual, oh fun another tight spot. 02 V8

My local indy charged an hours labour. Well worth it IMHO!!!!!

Well I knew someday I was going to be doing this, just not so soon :/ Yes its at 13.6v while driving with the light on. With the light off it hovers around 13.9-14v but nothing more. I do have a complete engine and body from a v8 00', would that alternator work in my 00' v6?

Members online

No members online now.
Back