Charging issue ????

swdobbs

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Alright a month ago I replaced the original battery on the recently purchased LS after it wouldn't hold a charge, it dropped to 10.6 volts.

Twice since I replaced the battery, I got the battery light and a "check charging system" which stayed on for 1 or 2 seconds max. I checked the battery cables, plenty tight and no corrosion.

Is this code saved and can it be pulled with a reader?

Are LS's real sensitive to battery voltage? I'd guess the alternator is original to the car 2001 with 92k, is this about time for the alternator to go out?

My last car was an 96 Impala SS clone and any event like that was generally saved in the OBDI.

s.

Alternator. One sure way to tell. Get a voltmeter. start the car. Place the voltmeter across the battery terminals. The voltmeter should read 14.2 volts or slightly more. Turn on some accessories. AC, high beams, stereo, defroster. The voltmeter should still read at least 13.3 volts or so. If the volts are lower than what I listed? The alternator isnt charging properly and needs replacement.

And an alternator can go out at any mileage. Mine quit around 72k. And if it is your alternator, do yourself a favor and avoid the cheap rebuilt units sold by AutoZone/Advance Auto.

I know you checked the cables but check the negative cable, the end that attachés to the body, a known weak point.

Members online

Back