Changing upper A arms and knuckles...need help

Nick

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm changing both the upper control arms and steering knuckles tomorrow. I bought the parts today and they look much better than what came on the car in 2000. The steering knuckle looks pretty straightforward, but those upper arms look like it might be tight getting to the bolts? Any tips, tricks, or how tos?

Thanks

I believe that I need to do mine's too so any info would be great. Where did you get the parts and how much?

Just finished it. Took me about 4 hours to do both sides, with taking some breaks cause its around 100* here. The knuckles cost me $212 per side, and the upper arms were $76 per side. Those are wholesale prices from the dealer. List price is much more. I just hope i never have to do that again, but on the bright side, I saved $800 doing it myself...

why'd you replace them (what were your symptoms)

I was trying to solve a front end vibration issue. I put new tires on it and went to the dealer to get an alignment done. They wouldn't do the alignment cause my lower ball joints and slack in them, which i went out into the shop and saw myself, so i just changed all of them. I am going to get an alignment tomorrow, we will see what happens. They are going to road force balance my tires too. This vibration is kickin my a$$...

I get some of that and was told it's my lower control arm to frame bushings. problem is you can't just replace the bushings you have to replace to whole control arm.

Did you ever change them? Is there any way to check those and who told you they were bad?

haven't done it yet. When I was getting my snow tires removed and new tires put on the tire shop started prying around with a pry bar when a complained about the vibration and general ride quality. when he hit the lower front mounts of the front control arms with just a small amount of force the entire wheel and knuckle moved a good 1/2 inch or so. I thought maybe this was by design but the driver's side moved so much more than the passenger side.

Members online

No members online now.
Back