Changing coils. What else while i'm at it?

Four eyed stangs

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I go on vacation in 3 weeks and plan to remove the upper intake to change coils.

2002 v6

I plan to change
  • coils
  • plugs
  • pcv vale
  • pcv hose
  • cabin filter

What else should get done while the upper intake, etc are off?

Thanks!

still would stay stock lol it would just look a little bit better, what a better way to show off such a nice piece of art the v6 intake is. :cool:

Pfft! The design is horrible! It doesn't deserve enhancement! ... all day just to change spark plugs!

My 1989 and 1992 SHO's had art worthy V6 intakes!

I did polish the HO upper intake I got for the Sytemax 1 lower on my Towncar, though.

never said it was any fun to work on ;) but o course, neither were those early shos :(

I have no idea what your talking about these SHO's are cake, for example i need to change the plugs so i did.

IMG_2834.jpg

haha just kidding putting on ported and polished heads. But i kid you not, you have to pull the intake to do anything on these cars. Hopefully ill be faster than the Mark thats at my house after its all said and done :F :waving:

14.1 was the best I ever got out of my 89.
It wouldn't go into reverse if the engine was running after all the power shifts.

They were great cars! I traded the 89 in on the 92 and the 92 in on a 93 Lightning. I miss all 3.

Pfft! The design is horrible! It doesn't deserve enhancement! ... all day just to change spark plugs!

My 1989 and 1992 SHO's had art worthy V6 intakes!

I did polish the HO upper intake I got for the Sytemax 1 lower on my Towncar, though.

Should have got a v8.

finally some Taurus talk so you can chime in... Thats alot of waiting!!!:D

hahaah! No kidding! Ive just got an account to lerk and read stuff that my brother is always blabbing on about.

And also ignore my above double post Im Chris2523's little brother, (wrong forum name :eek:).

Yup but hey a shout out from another one of the ford bastards to the LS and Mark peeps!

I found a few shortcuts while changing coils and plugs.

There is no need to drain coolant. You can slide the intake over to the driver's side with the throttle body hoses intact.

You can leave the wipers on if you point them straight up and lift up the cowl grille to remove the cross brace.

I skipped removing the egr valve from the car. I removed it from the intake, but left it on the exhaust tube.

No cables have to be removed from the throttle either. The connectors do require removal, though.

There are two vacuum fittings on the back that must be removed and I removed the egr vacuum to give the line some wiggle room.

The egr pressure sensor must be removed from the back of the intake.
Then you can remove the fuel pressure sensor shield easily.

Take your time sliding the intake over. Make sure no hoses or lines are strained.

When you put it back together, many lines and connectors can be attached in the back while the intake is loose.

This was a one and a half beer job.

Staff online

Members online

Back