Changing Coil/Plug Out; Any advice

rogasm

LVC Member
Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all. I think I have a good idea how to replace my #6 coil and am ready to finish the job. Before I am elbow deep in grease I wanted to see if you guys had any tips. I don't think it should take more than an hour, but I will admit I am a little intimidated. I have never worked on a car as complex as this (again, my Jeep of 9 years had a straight 6).

Thanks

Knowing the year of your LS and if it is a V6 or V8 would help if you want any specific advice.

Easy peasy. Especially if you have a set of ratcheting wrenches. One of the back bolts of the cop cover is kind of a bitch to get to. Tie a piece of string/fishing line to the wrench and the other side to your wrist. You will drop the wrench a few times, and that is less aggravating than trying to fish it out from wherever it happens to fall.

Joe, I did a search of all posts by him, and found out he has an 02 v8.

V8's coil swap's are easier to tackle than the v6 :(

I just bought a nice Stanly chrome black ratchet set.. :) Love it already! Doing some work this weekend!

Sorry guys, I have an 02 V8. I will update my signature.

Good thinking with tieing the wrench to my wrist. I will defintely use that.

gcwimmer: I know how to do it, when I asked the question I was mostly asking about tricks to help make it easier, like what pektel recommended. I will search through the tech articles again though. Thanks!

Once you get the coil covers off, throw them in the corner. (I left mine off over three years ago, and about 50K miles.)

KS

Glad I don't have some of the probs you V8 owners have but sure wish I had the power and ease of coil/plug replacement as you...:(

I didnt toss my coil covers in the corner, but I did intentionally leave off that back bolt thats a paint to get to. lol.

Does anyone have the setup of the coils? For now I am only replacing #6. That is the one that is out and I just need to replace it so that it passes emissions. Once it warms up a little more (6 inches of snow yesterday), I will do the rest.

My 2002 V8 LSE with 135k miles on it (I've owned since new) had it's first coil go around..80k miles or so I think. At the time i replaced all of them with coils from global on Ebay. Around 120k or so, got the usual coil failure symptom, and within a day, the CEL came on indicating coil #5. Had 2 spares laying around, so I replaced only #5. Engine then ran fine. About 2 weeks ago at 134k, same symptoms. CEL came on in 1/2 day and indicated #6 was the culprit. Replaced #6 and all has been well.

So..that said, not so sure I personally recommend replacing ALL coils at the same time. May not be totally necessary. A personal choice, obviously.

Members online

No members online now.
Back