Changed my AC clutch last week!

96hotrodlincoln

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I noticed that clutch plate was bad on the 97 and needed to be replaced, after removing it, I noticed that the bearings were going to go sometime soon and decided to just replace the whole clutch assembly.

It was a real PITA, KK suggested unbolting the compressor and letting it hang for easier access to pull the pulley and coil but after looking at it I didn't see that that was going to make it any easier. Long story short, after trying for awhile to get the puller positioned just right. I decided to just pull the cooling fan. Two bolts, one connector and a little finagling and the fan came right out, giving me the depth I needed to get the puller positioned easier.

After that, it was a lot easier went a little smoother. Replacing the coil was a little bit of a challenge but it wasn't too terribly bad, after that, everything went back together easily. Gapped the clutch plate, torqued it down and put everything back together.

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about the bearings seizing up on me now, especially with this horrible heat we've had lately.

i waited a little to long to do my pulley last summer

pully.jpg

pully2.jpg

Not a fun job by any stretch of the imagination... not at all.

Like I said though making the room is something you have to figure out... but the real real key is getting the proper puller...

I had a two-arm snap-on puller with three different length arms and two different length bolts, I used the short set to pull the pulley and then moved to the medium length arms to pull the coil. I also had a rack at my disclosure as well which made the job so much easier, I found it easier to do some of it from the top side and other from the bottom side. It's just tricky getting all the angles just right but it was much easier with the fan out of the way.

The front bearing seal was gone on mine as well, that's why I decided to replace it as quickly as I did.

Members online

Back