Changed Battery and Alternator and still having issues

The_Cre8r

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 LLS, and as the title states, I have changed Battery and Alternator however there is no power coming from the alternator. I have not lifted it up to check wires at the alternator. Ut has been working for 4 weeks now, and the alternator isnt powering it anymore, it is doing the same thing as before I replaced that Alt, but now i have a new one.

Any thoughts?

So far I have:
I have checked 2 fuses, fuse 15 in the trunk, and fuse 17 in the passenger foot area.

To do:
Lift and check wires.

BTW: The reason i know there was initially a problem is it said check charging system and it says that until i get it up to about 4.5k RPM then it goes off shortly until i drop below the 4.5k

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

It would be to your benefit to actually test the battery with a multimeter. Joegr has the instructions posted in a few older threads on alternator / charging issues.

Google search and you should get more effective results.

seems like the alternator is DOA. What brand did you put in? Check the wires ASAP, the main power wire to my original alternator was loose and fried the rectifier and regulator. It's probably not your issue, but it won't hurt to check

Non-Motorcraft alternators don't work well. They don't last very long. If you went aftermarket, you're much better off ponying-up the money for an OEM unit. Unless you like changing alternators often.

good thing they're easy to get to... it would be a PITA if they were buried underneath

Turns out my LS is an SS version and the alternator is in a better location with a limited edition plate.

thats the second alt you see (next to the SC)...the original is still on the bottom.

Oooooh. Thanks for the heads up man. I should have searched.

Check with VOM at battery

Have someone start car with meter attached to the battery, the volts should go low, then as the alternator kicks in the voltage should go back to 14+volts.
if the volts go down and stay down you alt is dead.

if you bought a reman, then it is likely dead. don't buy reman, but NEW or used OEM. I bought a Advanced Auto NEW, been good for 2 years now.

Have someone start car with meter attached to the battery, the volts should go low, then as the alternator kicks in the voltage should go back to 14+volts.
if the volts go down and stay down you alt is dead.

if you bought a reman, then it is likely dead. don't buy reman, but NEW or used OEM. I bought a Advanced Auto NEW, been good for 2 years now.

I think motorcraft reman is OK. Mine has been good for two years.

I bought a Advanced Auto NEW, been good for 2 years now.

others running non-oem alternators should also chime in with specifics of what they bought and how long it has been functioning; because everyone else has seemed to regurgitate the opinion that OEM is the only way to go. scared me into buying an OEM from a salvage yard. im not complaining though, it was a steal.

and FWIW: OEM alternators (on a 05 v6 at least) do NOT have a motorcraft sticker, they have a Denso sticker. easy money at the salvage yard if you call ahead, ask if it has the motorcraft sticker and they go check and it says Denso. go into the potentially misguided (unless Tireman is a rare outlier) speel about how a motorcraft alternator is the only way to go until they knock the price down

buying and rebuilding the oem denso will likely save ~$200 over a motorcraft rebuild...

so basically all I got out of this and looking over everything on my end, i bought a rebuilt and i need to replace it, again luckily it was only 2k miles ago and they have the receipt on their system so i will get an better one.

live and learn...

so basically all I got out of this and looking over everything on my end, i bought a rebuilt and i need to replace it, again luckily it was only 2k miles ago and they have the receipt on their system so i will get an better one.

live and learn...

theres a lot of side conversations in this thread: if i were you i would take it to multiple places that do free alternator and battery checks. explain the issue to them, have them check both the alternator and the battery. it is possible that you could have a battery issue, but from what almost everyone here has said, the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) alternators are the only ones that work well. so if your alternator didnt say motorcraft or denso (someone correct this if there was another oem for OP's yr and engine), most ppl here would probably say your alternator is a POS straight from the box you received it in...

is the only symptom that a light is being illuminated? or are you having other problems like a no start condition, car shutting off while driving, etc

I replaced the Alt there was no power coming from it.... basically battery was draining, the bat light was on, was saying "check charging system" and if i reved over 4k rpm all of the lights would go off...

i figured it was the alt but was not sure.

note i did not let it die but everything started powering down
1) indicator lights
2)traction control
3)antilock breaks
4)aux lights
5)no power when i pushed gas
6)would die(happened 1st time before i replaced the original alt

bright side it only took me 2 hrs to do it this time..lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back