change check engine light and numerous other problems..

jdouglas22

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have an 01 v6 ls. 140,000 miles. Does anyone have a break down of how to change the check engine light bulb it's been on so long it burned out. Also air bag light came on a 3-2 code I believe. checked under the driver seat for broken wires.. Nothing I take it is the clock spring. All button controls work on steering wheel but when I pull keys out auto seats don't move back anymore. Now that it's cold out I'm not sure this has anything to do with it but the car now shakes sometimes in reverse or idle or come to a stop sign sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. But when I get to highway speeds doesn't happen. I am aware of the mis fire issue as I changed all plugs and vcgs and coils from Ebay last year I read on here someone was saying it was a mis fire even though c.e.l is not coming on. I pull codes and only code that comes up is p0401 insufficient flow egr. Changed egr valve/ dpfe and shoved a line down that metal line that connects egr to exhaust to clean any carbon nothing. light is still on. Well not technically on cause bulb is shot. I think that sums up my current problems anyone have any insight or if you've encountered any of these problems and fixed it let me know what you did.

Hit up the LSK website and look for the white face gauges kit. The instructions sheet has really good steps and pictures for pulling the gauge pod. I'm not sure if you can snake a hand behind there without pulling it. Just try. It's fun to lay on your back in the footwell!

The shaking is probably a coil. Some folks have had really bad luck with the eBay coils. Some might have gone bad already. Coil failure do not necessarily throw codes - it has to be pretty severe for the PCM to pick it up.

As for the low EGR flow, double check the vacuum hoses around that side of the engine to make sure there aren't any leaks. Also double check the tube going into the intake. On my v8, the tube into the intake was almost clogged shut with oil and carbon deposits. I forget what else throws the EGR code, but there's a couple of other areas.

Joe has posted the diagnosis for the 3-2 code a few times. Maybe search around his posts?

I've got the 01 V6 also

3-2 airbag light is the clockspring, replace it. Idle problems most likely the PCV elbow, PCV valve, vacuum line from throttle body to PCV at rear of engine, usually the rear boot splits open from all the heat. If you have not changed out the PCV valve elbow and such, then its' most likely the problem. Another item on the V6 is the IAC valve attached to the trottle body, this valve get carboned up and dies, you can remove it (2 bolts) clean it out and reinstall and see if any different, eventually it will die leaving you stuck somewhere. The IAC valve is $50 and so easy to install, its better to just get a new one and be done with it. What have you replaced on the engine so far? I have 138k on mine and it runs smooth as silk (after I replaced everything)!.

Members online

Back