"Change AC Filter"...AGAIN? WTF...

b34nz

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have never had to change an AC filter before I owned the LS.
WTF is the deal here? Every 8-12 months I have to replace the damn thing, can I just ignore the warnings? I don't understand why the LS needs a new filter so much and every other car I have owned doesn't require one once or more per year.

Don't replace it, it honestly does not get that dirty.

Take it out, clean it up a bit and maybe use some compressed air to blow it out....then reset your timer.

It's just like the heated and cooled seat filters....don't replace them, just clean them.

WTF is the deal here? Every 8-12 months I have to replace the damn thing, can I just ignore the warnings? I don't understand why the LS needs a new filter so much and every other car I have owned doesn't require one once or more per year.

It is triggered by mileage, just like the oil change warning. So in reality, they don't actually have to be changed. More just checked and cleaned if needed.

It is triggered by mileage, just like the oil change warning. So in reality, they don't actually have to be changed. More just checked and cleaned if needed.

Replace every 16K, just reset the cabin filter %. The % is based on time or mileage which ever comes first.

what about the before mentioned seat filters? where are they and how often?

what about the before mentioned seat filters? where are they and how often?

They are under both passenger and driver seats....

You have to move the seats all the way forward and reach under each seat...its a small black disc that you have to turn to remove the filter...look in your owners manual for more information.

It is triggered by mileage, just like the oil change warning.

Actually, all those warnings are based on time, not mileage. The computer uses nothing more than a simple timer to estimate when the next oil or filter change is required.

For the AC, the level of dirtiness varies drastically with the environment in which the car is driven (dusty area vs. wooded, etc.) When the warning notice pops up, do a simple inspection of the filter. If it is dirty, replace it and reset the timer. If it's not that dirty, reinstall, reset the timer, and run it another cycle.

You have never had to change an A/C filter before because you have probably never owned a car with an A/C filter. Most cars do not have a filter. Consider yourself lucky.

Don't go by the date the car says, just look at it and if it does need changing all the time which it probably doesn't, check the stripping in front of it that it sits right and ain't missing.

My 2004 LSV8 AC filter light pops on like a cuckoo every 15K if I recall.

The first time I popped mine at 15K it was a bit dirty with things like sand, seeds, bugs. I am cheap so I just blew mine out with compressed air. I have done this twice now and don't expect to actually need to replace the filter for a long time.

If you do buy an aftermarket filter, they are about $20 and way up. The Bosch versions is something like $30++ but it is carbon treated so I presume 1) it is supposed to make the air smell a bit better and 2) the carbon does wear out and you are forced to change the filter if you want item 1.

Just blow it out or use the old mechanic test... hold it up to the sun and see if you can see sunlight.

The under seat filters don't seem to get very dirty in mine. They are kind of like plastci screen door material and when I pulled mine at about 50K miles they were clean.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Actually, all those warnings are based on time, not mileage. The computer uses nothing more than a simple timer to estimate when the next oil or filter change is required.

Well... not really. Here is why. If it was true that it was only a timer and not mileage. Please explain why when I freshly change the oil and reset the computer and then go on one of my road trips putting about 1000 miles on the car is about a day, the oil status is all of a sudden down to about 80%. It it was timer bases it shouldn't drop to 80% in a single day, it would takes weeks. Also, I believe in the manual it states that the warning are mileage based.

Well... not really. Here is why. If it was true that it was only a timer and not mileage. Please explain why when I freshly change the oil and reset the computer and then go on one of my road trips putting about 1000 miles on the car is about a day, the oil status is all of a sudden down to about 80%. It it was timer bases it shouldn't drop to 80% in a single day, it would takes weeks. Also, I believe in the manual it states that the warning are mileage based.

Well I checked. The manual does not say how the lifetime is determined, but I believe you are right -- it is probably a combination of mileage and time. My bad. Now, that said, I do know that there is no sensor that actually monitors the oil directly (or the cabin filter condition for that matter). The mileage input is probably determined from one of the on-board computers that is monitoring speed, RPM, mileage, etc. But there is a time element to the calculation too.

BTW, the subject of short intervals between AC filter changes has come up before. I think the general consensus was to ignore the message and watch the actual condition of the filter.

ok does any one have a pic of where it is in the engine bay i have to change mines and i looked and cant find it in the passenger side, i have a ls8 2004,

dude lift up your hood

its right below the passenger wiper, you need to remove the plastic cover and you will see a box with a flap, remove, clean, reset timer.

Yeah it is the plastic cowling agaisnt the firewall below the wiper on the passenger side. It is behid the Shock absorber tower. Not much else there for you to mess with so it would be hard to get the wrong thing.

You will see something like 5 or 6 black buttons with a "bullseye in the middle going across the top of the plastic cowling from left to right. Push the bullseye in about 1/4 inch and the button will pry up easily. Remove enough of these to lift the plastic cowl enough to see the air filter box. You do not need to remove this, just lift it up a bit.

The airfilter box is about the size of a large book, something like 12 wide, 10 deep and 3 thick laying vertically against the firewall. There is a flip lid on the top. I think it has a simple plastic latch on the left and right side, just gently unseat these and the lid will open. the filter is down inside and easily gotten at. Just lift it out and either clean or replace.

Put everything back in place and make sure you put the buttons back.

If you are slow and methodical this job should take no more than 15 minutes. If you need more tools than say a flat screwdriver(I use my Swiss Army knife bottle opener) to pry the buttons and latches loose, you are doing something wrong.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

I have 87K and never changed mine or blown it out. I want to pull it out and look at it.

How come any auto parts store, large or small never has one for the LS?

I can just imagine what Lincoln charges for an OEM replacement!

I have 87K and never changed mine or blown it out. I want to pull it out and look at it.

How come any auto parts store, large or small never has one for the LS?

I can just imagine what Lincoln charges for an OEM replacement!

The LS is not a very common car. OEM filter runs about $25.00 but with connections it's free. :D

Bosch makes an OEM and one with activated charcoal that removes odors; you can find others on eBay also.

Thanks. I popped the holders and finally located it today. I'm gonna blow it out for now and reset the CPU. I'll try to find a replacement online.

Man these treads are awesome!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back