Ceramic Brake Pads.

jcharb

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just recently installed brand new front rotors and ceramic pads, everything was ok for a few days, but now i have a constant high pitched squeal whenever i put moderate pressure on the brake pedal, how is this possible if there is no metalic content in the pads, i've taken them apart and inspected and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong or rubbing. Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea how to remedy the problem? oh ya it's comming from the passenger front brake. I want to fix this as soon as i can, it's kind of embarassing concidering they are brand new brakes and sound like i have old brakes that need to be replaced, any imput would be appreciated.

Ceramic pads are designed for high heat, such as hard braking. In normal driving conditions they do not break down under braking. So they glaze over causing the noise.I use ceramics only in NASA or autocross applications. On the street you need a pad that wears alittle each time you apply the brake.

Lube the surfaces where the pad backing plates contact the calipers. While the pads are out, spray some permatex disk brake quiet on the back side of each pad and let them cure up. Re-assemble and don't forget to bed them in if you have not already done so. I run ceramix pads from NAPA and there is no noise and no dust. I put NAPA Adaptive 1 hybrid ceramic pads on the wife's Marauder and they are also quiet, but they make dust around as fast as stock brake pads. On each car, the stopping is very good.

The lubing of the caliper-to-pad interface area is very critical, and there is a good chance that the squeal that you hear is from the pads vibrating and not being able to freely move in those guide slots where the pads are captive into the calipers.

Periodically, you should re-bed your pads by performing a series of 60-10 stops under higher pressure (hard stops) in a row, to warm up the brakes and deposit a new layer of friction material on the rotors. If you do not, your rotors will be cleaned off and higher stopping effort is needed.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml

be sure to click on the next link off that article, which describes the procedure for bedding in stock size brakes, if that is what you run, and click the performance brake system link if you're over stock sized brakes.

seeing the next article on tirerack.com, shows that different types of pads require different techniques for bed-in.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=85

hope this helps.

mike

Well everyone, i was wrenching on the ls today changing my worn out sway bar end links in the front, and decided to try something, i took the pads of the passenger side and switched them to the driver side, and vice versa, and it doesn't seem to squeal anymore, nice and quiet, not sure what made it squeal but it seems to be fixed now, will keep updated, thanks everyone

Well everyone, i was wrenching on the ls today changing my worn out sway bar end links in the front, and decided to try something, i took the pads of the passenger side and switched them to the driver side, and vice versa, and it doesn't seem to squeal anymore, nice and quiet, not sure what made it squeal but it seems to be fixed now, will keep updated, thanks everyone

Once the pads wear in again you will most likely get the noise. Hope not, good luck.

Lube the surfaces where the pad backing plates contact the calipers. While the pads are out, spray some permatex disk brake quiet on the back side of each pad and let them cure up. Re-assemble and don't forget to bed them in if you have not already done so. I run ceramix pads from NAPA and there is no noise and no dust. I put NAPA Adaptive 1 hybrid ceramic pads on the wife's Marauder and they are also quiet, but they make dust around as fast as stock brake pads. On each car, the stopping is very good.

The lubing of the caliper-to-pad interface area is very critical, and there is a good chance that the squeal that you hear is from the pads vibrating and not being able to freely move in those guide slots where the pads are captive into the calipers.

Periodically, you should re-bed your pads by performing a series of 60-10 stops under higher pressure (hard stops) in a row, to warm up the brakes and deposit a new layer of friction material on the rotors. If you do not, your rotors will be cleaned off and higher stopping effort is needed.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml

be sure to click on the next link off that article, which describes the procedure for bedding in stock size brakes, if that is what you run, and click the performance brake system link if you're over stock sized brakes.

seeing the next article on tirerack.com, shows that different types of pads require different techniques for bed-in.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=85

hope this helps.

mike

GRACIAS!

Well the squeal is back but on the other side.... guess they are going back and getting the Monroe pads instead

What brand ceramic pads are you guys using? I have never personally had squeal noises from my ceramics but I have heard alot of people that do. Maybe it is in the brand? I have to ask my supplier what brand he gave me for the Ls, Something new and I don't remeber the name.

Members online

Back