Center console power point

rooter

LVC Member
Reaction score
The console power point is always on. Does anyone know if it's possible to make it switch on and off with the ignition? I looked at the fuse block in the trunk to see if I could switch the hot side with something switched that my car isn't equipped with, but the empty fuse slots don't seem to have any leads installed from underneath. Does anyone have any other ideas?

you could rewire it to any switched source at the fuse panel. not sure what you mean about no leads. if you go to radio shack they sell crimp on wire ends that go into the fuse side of the fusebox (clip onto the fuse leads and go in w/the fuse). as long as you aren't using anything too high power you could go to one of the power taps at the radio or even the advance trac switch (make sure you know the pinout, someone else here killed there's). what are you hooking up?

Just a Delphi Roady2. Thanks for the tip on the fuse clips. If I understand you correctly, I would pull the fuse for the always on console power point (and leave it out) and jump the power point-side over to something switched (like a 20 Amp-er and ensure the draw is through the fuse) with this "clip."

What I meant by no leads is I couldn't see the metal socket part installed from underneath. In my trunk block, there are three empty fuse slots. The empty slots do not have the metal sockets in them. I pulled the block off its mount and looked inside--there are no wires coming up from underneath for these slots.

You're right, thanks! All I'll need to do is crimp on a spade lug and jump it over to the (now empty) load-side of the console socket.

Got it at Pep Boys.

For anyone following along and thinking of doing the same, the "mini" size is needed vs. the size shown in post #5.

Oh well, so much for that idea. None of the mini fuses back there are switched between the battery and the fuse. There's a common 12V rail and everything is energized. To clarify what I posted before, the slots for options not installed have no contacts for the load-side of the fuse. The 12V-side is installed in all slots.

that's not accurate on my 03????? I have several switched fuse and I think you do too. you didn't check for voltage with ignition running did you??

I have an '06. With the ignition off, power was still available from all fuses marked with switched devices, such as Moonroof, Navigation, Rear Seat Heater, etc.

There are 4 fuses and corresponding relays labeled SSP1, SSP2, SSP3 and SSP4. I didn't check these--does anyone know what these are for?

There's a delayed-off mechanism for moonroof, nav/radio, windows, etc, but those may be controlled by relays, with their fuses being hot all the time. That would explain the corresponding relays--when you open the door or the timer expires, it opens the relays. I don't know what would happen if you tied into the device side of the relay.

that's odd. did you open a door to make sure it truly shut down all those circuits (remember most stay live in the ls until a door is opened after KO)

Yes. I turn the key to off, open the door and the radio turns off. The fuses are all still hot.

Members online

No members online now.
Back