Center Channel in a Mark VIII?

shagdrum

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
IS this possible? I have a double din clarion head unit (MAX675VDII), and am getting the 5.1 unit for it for $75. It has some other functions that make it worth while for me, without the 5.1, but I wouldn't mind adding that if it is feasible. Any idea?

The car is a 1996, and the double din radio hole is filled up already with the head unit, so the 1 din center channels offered by many companies wouldn't work.

hey shagdrum

I am in the process of purchasing a 96 at the moment.
I plan on upgrading to a Pioneer AVIC-F90BT - double din.

Did you have to modify the opening at all?

The F90BT does not support 5.1 I think, could be wrong as I am still researching.

THey do make speakers that wrap around the rear view mirror that are used as a center channel. If I were to get a unit and try for a center channel I would probably pay to have someone cut into the dash further back towards the windhield.

IF you dont wanna cut into the dash tho, you could get somebody to make a kick panel for the center channel, it'll be visible but easy to replace in case something blows, it wont be in the way that much either.

im also working on the same thing. i bought an old school panasonic center channel off ebay and plan on cutting a spot in my dash for it. only probem is since the speaker is fairly old(not sure exactly how old) the speakers sensitivity is only like 82 dB so its not too loud. ill probably replace the speaker itself eventually

I did it.

My wife has the Clarion MAX double Din in her mustang. Nice units out there. But I like to go large so I designed my own setup. Still touch screen. But It got me thinkin to add a center channel with seperate amp in the trunk for it. The final result:

21597560143_large.jpg

You'll definatley have to do some custom work like me in order to get the space to put a properly positioned center channel for 5.1 in the dash. Unless you ditched the double din and went single din with a single din center channel. Bad thing about that though, is vocals are the main part to 5.1 in the center. With more power on the sides, it can be hard to hear the vocals. Go with more power by adding a new amp and run 2" or higher tweeters. I went infinty kappa 3.5" speakers with built in crossovers. Sounds awesome and even has more power than my side speakers. I hear vocals very clearly.
And, if you plan on watching 5.1 movies, I suggest lots of Dynamat in the cabin. Makes for a better movie experience.

Last edited:

Members online

Back