CD player problem

Carol

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My 1997 conti did not come with any CD player. I wanted to get one with a 6 CD changer and a factory head unit. My car dealer got the changer and dash unit just like the original one would have looked like had it had one but the speakers don't hook up or something like that. Everything runs but no sound comes out because of the kind of factory speakers used for just a radio and cassette player. Short of buying all new speakers is there any other solution. I thought I wanted to stick with a Ford/Lincoln factory model just so my dash looks the same as any factory installed cd player in a conti. Am I crazy for feeling this way? I called Tweeters and could get a whole new unit but of course it would be a lot more expensive and not look like what I want. Oh yes the factory unit would have only cost me $290.00 installed!

Don't think the issues are the speakers - I wouldn't think they would be any different - quality wise maybe, but they should still work - prob needs a different amplifier.

I am by no means a sound tech kinda guy just thinking about common sense. i am sure a radiophile will chime in with a diagnosis.

I think you're right about the amplifier. It seems to me he did say something about I would have to get an amplifier because the unit in there now doesn't have one or something like that. I sure wish I understood this stuff!

I believe you purchased the JBL system and your car didn't have one to begin with. The JBL system has seperate amps for the speakers. This is similar to the Bose systems in Nissans.

Do a search on google there are quite a few options for retaining the factory setup entirely and adding a cd changer to it. I'll post some of the ones I found when looking for a new one for my 97 continental. I currently have an audiovox 10 disc changer & adapter which plugs in-line into my factory setup, not some fm modulated thing. Also fortunatly everything is in the trunk so its easy to run the wires/harness.

I would really appreciate those links. Thanks alot.

Members online

Back