Catalytic converter questions

Abbens

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So my passenger converter is broke. Can I buy a universal one and use that? One other thing, if I cut the broken cat out and just put a straight pipe there will that affect my gas mpg? Because right now since the cat is broke, my mpg is horrible. I have to struggle on the highway at 50 mph just to maintain 20mpg thanks

Yeah you can throw on any universal aftermarket cat and it will work fine.

I've got a question...I've got a 98 LSC with the dual exhaust, 2 cats and that third center cat. I wanted to remove it and install an x and still pass cali emissions.

The question is, if I upgrade the primary two cats to aftermarket ones, will they work well enough to pass "functional" emissions without the center cat?

Can i remove just the center cat and keep the OEM 2 up front and pass "functional" emissions with the stock ones?

aftermarket cats will work better than stock. Stock cats should be changed at about 50K miles anyway

you can remove the 3rd cat and leave the fronts stock (not recommended as per 50K replacements) and use an X or H pipe ( always cross the exhaust somehow, no cross = no back pressure) as long as your smog pump is working you should be fine
however i live in Texas and in my area emission tests are non existant

actually cat's don't go bad...in fact most new cars have cat warranty's till 80k or so anyhow. It's just a chemical change within the converters, and if your car runs the way it should for life, the cat is good for the life of the car. I've smogged 5.0 mustang after 5.0 mustang at 200k with the factory cats on it, and they always pass.

If you're replacing cats every 50k miles then there is something very wrong with the way your engine is running, that is destroying them.

Cats really shouldn't fail unless something happens to make them fail like a misfire or you get a bunch of antifreeze dumped into your gas somehow. Anyway I think california is really strict on cats. They need to be CARB certified or w/e and they might check to see if you have all the factory cats on the car. You could still try to hollow out the 3rd cat in which case it would just be a crappy h-pipe.

aftermarket cats will work better than stock. Stock cats should be changed at about 50K miles anyway

you can remove the 3rd cat and leave the fronts stock (not recommended as per 50K replacements) and use an X or H pipe ( always cross the exhaust somehow, no cross = no back pressure) as long as your smog pump is working you should be fine
however i live in Texas and in my area emission tests are non existant

Where do you get some of your info from?

Where do you get some of your info from?

ok let me rephrase..they dont "work" better, they "flow" better and typically sound better.

and i cant tell you the questions in ASE tests..sorry

Members online

No members online now.
Back