cat gut

V-Tally

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What would a person gain from gutting the cats on a 2006 town car? What would a person lose? Is there anything that should be done along with the gutting to improve performance? Or would performance suffer? I have tried to find a good straight answer, but I keep finding differing opinions. Also which cats would be best to gut. This is a hypothetical question, assuming a emissions testing free state.

Hi V-Tally,

Gains:

1. You would gain the illumination of your CEL as your catalytic efficiency would be ZERO !

2. You would also gain the ability to add toxic byproducts of combustion (CO, HC and NOx) into the atmosphere, something we have been trying to reduce since 1975 and beyond.

Loses:

1. The legality of your automobile.

If none of the above bother you, knock yourself out. :D

Here's some good reading: http://www.importtuner.com/features/0610impp_catalytic_converter_removal/viewall.html

I basically says: Removing a modern catalytic converter in new condition will not increase vehicle performance without retuning.

Are you looking for more HP and torque? Do you have a ability to retune your PCM?

GL

Regards,

I am interested in the difference between gutted cats and non gutted cats on a town cars 4.6l. If I would do this, I would never gut my perfectly fine stock cats , and I would use Junk off brand cats (that way I can always go back). I was just interested in seeing if it was even worth doing on these cars (ignoring the legality and emissions issue).

Hi V-Tally,

Maybe I missed something, but at the end of the day, what is your goal?

I have to assume to boost horsepower and torque?

Regards,

Members online

No members online now.
Back