Cat Converter

trinibassman

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm getting an engine code reading of PO420 which means that I need a new cat converter. Should I go with the dealer converter or should I get an aftermarket converter? Does it make a really big difference?

isn't that reading for an 02 sensor error? or do you know for sure your cat has gone bad?

Cat's are also warrantied for longer than the 50k bumper-2-bumper, their warrantied for like 80 or 100k I think.

yep i believe it's 80k or 8 years, whichever comes first (correct me if i'm wrong)

If that's the code I think it is, it indicates that a rear O2 sensor is tossing a code. Since the only function of those is to measure the effiency of the cats, a bad cat is a possibility...but a rare one. Usually it's a bad sensor.

yeah exactly. i got a similar code two weeks ago (P0430) which is for bank 2. the CEL has since stopped showing up, and i haven't noticed any difference in my driving performance/mpg. i'm still going to have it run thru the electrical diagnostics at my dealers, but chances are it's something less serious that was throwing off the 02 sensor.

See, I changed the O2 Sensor with one that I got from my mechanic and I was thinking that I should just change that because that could be bad, because he said that he just had it there so it may be an old one. I also think that whatever this problem is, keeps lowering the gas mileage.

im experiencing the same thing man so im right there with ya. but after talking to the main mechanic at my dealer's he told me 02 sensor replacement is pretty uncommon on all the LS's he's worked on, that usually it's something else along the line setting off the sensor. so yeah a bad cat is a possibiltiy - but if i were you id take it to a dealership who can do a full electrical diagnostic and find out for sure whats trippin the 02. if your mileage is over 80k, i'd be pretty scared of cat converter replacement... $1500 ish...

steagle said:
im experiencing the same thing man so im right there with ya. but after talking to the main mechanic at my dealer's he told me 02 sensor replacement is pretty uncommon on all the LS's he's worked on, that usually it's something else along the line setting off the sensor. so yeah a bad cat is a possibiltiy - but if i were you id take it to a dealership who can do a full electrical diagnostic and find out for sure whats trippin the 02. if your mileage is over 80k, i'd be pretty scared of cat converter replacement... $1500 ish...
Magna Flow makes Cats for virtually everthing. They are not that kind of dollars either. check them out.

hey

yeah exactly. i got a similar code two weeks ago (P0430) which is for bank 2. the CEL has since stopped showing up, and i haven't noticed any difference in my driving performance/mpg. i'm still going to have it run thru the electrical diagnostics at my dealers, but chances are it's something less serious that was throwing off the 02 sensor.

is bank 2 the passenger side

will a universal one do as good?? cat converter as i have to replace one

i have to get mine replaced as well the cats are covered up to 80,000 8 years and they run about 1700... the dealer ordered them on friday and i should be gettin it put in 2maro

i got quoted for a universal at 75.00 -175.00 not looking to spend 1700 dam also seen the magna flows for about 232 and some change. My car is not under warranty, on it has 110,000 milage any idea on the universal guys??

I just got two high flow magnaflow 2.5" dual o2 bung cats for my LS for $144 shipped for both on ebay. I bought the bigger cats because I have a 2.5" catback so I figured since my cats went bad I might as well upgrade. Anyways, the 2.25" are the same price, I can't get the link to work so just enter this into the search on ebay. MAGNAFLOW HI-FLO UNIV CONVERTER 2.5" W/D 02 BOSS 94266

I had to replace both cats last year on my 2005 LS 3.0. The cost of OEM cats are over 900 a side. A universal cat will not work due to the slope of the firewall and exhaust configuration. The aftermarket cats have to be for the LS; if a "universal" non type specific has come out since last April that will work I am unaware of it. I could not find any cats manufactured for the v6 other than OEM. I ended up replacing both cats with an aftermarket set for the v8 at a cost of about 350 plus shipping and have had no problems. It arrived as one unit from the exhaust flanges back through the cats and H pipe(which I removed and replaced with a magnaflow X) The only mod I had to do was move the left rear O2 sensor as it was hitting the oil filter.The company name was Eastern Cat and I found them on EBay. Good Luck

This is a picture of the cats I got from Eastern and their web site.
http://www.EASTERNCATALYTIC.COM/

EASTERN CAT.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back