Cassette deck problems on 1992 Continental

P

poschultz

When playing a cassette tape, it plays the tape but there is an awful background noise. It sounds like the tape is being fast forwarded (a clattering sound) but it is not in FF mode and you can still hear the cassette. Any ideas? Has it given up the ghost or just need cleaning or adjustment? :Bang

That's probably a problem with the cassette tape itself. They get old and cranky. You can try fast forwording once in each direction (or rewind). That seems to help sometimes.

cassete deck problem

Am I the only one having problems with a cassete tape deck in a Lincoln Continental? The problem is the tape deck not the cassette tape itself. Any ideas? Anyone fix this problem?

The only way to properly diagnose Cassette Player problems is to open them up and poke around in there. I suspect there's some old tape wrapped around a capstan or pinch roller. You may also find a deteriorating drive belt while your in there. Regardless, the belt replacement should be done if your inside. Belts (actually they look more like three-sided rubber bands) can be acquired at your local Radio Shack or electronics outlet.

If it's just audio noise, a head cleaning cassette may help if the crud's not too thick.

head might need de-gaussing also.. that takes a device to remove any built up magnetic field in the head. They used to be avail at Rat-Shack, but I havn't been in one in many years, so I don't know if they still are.

Members online

No members online now.
Back