Cars slammed !!

A_Stray_Bullet

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so my front end has been low, my friend (a good mechanic but not really familiar with the air ride system has been trying to help me. Since the pump is working and he could not hear any air leaking he let the air out to see if it would reset. Oops now from and back are slammed :-/
It's drivable...as long as I don't go over any speed bumps or off the nicely paved road into a parking lot lol...
I got new air ride spring solenoids but it still won't raise it.
He is thinking maybe it's the computer?
Any suggestions on where to go next would be lovely :/)
Also is there a way to manually pump some air into the bags?
Thanks....
Scrapping the crap out of the bottom in seattle :)

Ok.. Do I need most likely just 1? Or change them all out? And where can I find them. I do have a parts car I might be able to get them from...also would one not working cause both the front and the back not to raise?
Thanks

Ok do you know where I can find this part? Should I take it off the parts car? or just get a new one

Ok not sure if this info would change anything but after replacing the air ride spring solenoids last night I started the car this morning...usually it will raise a tiny bit so it was somewhat drivable but now the compressor doesn't turn on.
There is literally an 8th of an inch clearance on the muffler so it's not going anywhere now Ugh I hate getting rides to work :-(
I'm not sure if the pump stopped working last night after he put the parts on or this morning. I was at work when he did it he just said that didn't work and he was going to check the vent solenoid and the dryer this weekend.
Ty...sorry I'm not that mechanical, probably shouldn't own this car lol but I do love it :) most of the time anyways

Well if you have a mechanic working on it, then not sure what good we can do. The compressor can stop working for several reasons. Are you getting a check air ride alert and if so, when? Right away, after 30 seconds, etc? The vent solenoid can not be checked, its part of the compressor. So the entire compressor needs replacement. Or the compressor relay is bad, its the same as the ABS relay and thus can be swapped. Those relays are on opposite sides of the car relatively. One being almost on the compressor itself. A temporary swap can help rule it out.

It was starting the pump within the first 10 seconds, then erroring out in about 30 seconds I think.
But like I said when I started it this morning it didn't come on at all

Sorry I misspoke..anyone that can do things like rebuild the transmission which he has done on this car I kinda think as a mechanic ...but he's not. He's just good at working on cars lol. He has never worked on an air ride system though that's why I'm asking here so I can give the suggestions you give. I'll pass what you said along. Ty much :)

Hmm.... check fuse for the heck of it. But yeah, either relay or the compressor has had it. I would really swap the relay first since that is quickest. The relay on the passenger side may require removal of the wheel well liner, not sure. On the 93-96 model years, all one has to do is remove the cornering light and its there. On the Gen II, like yours, I think its moved down a bit since the headlights are so big.

Also if the pump was coming on, then erroring out after 30 seconds, that is a sign of a major leak. It should be able to air up in that time. If not, it errors out to prevent over heating. Or if airing up form slammed, it will error out after a while too of course and may take two cycles.

And remember, it has a park and ride height. Park height is lower. So is normal for the pump to come on for a bit every time the car is started up as it move up to ride height.

If your bags were slammed all the way, try jacking the car up 1"-2", then try it. Have to give a tired compressor a head start. Switch the abs relay for the compressor relay.

I live in florida and don't use mine, I have springs but still on car. Works as far as I know

ok so far i put in new air ride spring solenoids, checked the fuse, and the compressor relay and nothing yet.
Im thinking replacing the compressor is next, so....
Ive been enjoying the air ride for about 8 years noww and im thinking maybe its time to go to springs...if i had another driver i would continue picking away at this when i could but this being my only car I ned to get this done soon.
the guy working on the car thinks the airbags are holding air but they are really worn and might need to be replaced soon.

Heres my thought, if I switch it to springs now then over the next year or so get new bags, replace/rebuild the compressor, get what i need and switch it back to air later when i know i have all the parts working...is this just crazy talk? lol

im looking at this, should be all i need correct? also i like the car lowered so ill probably opt for the 1.5 inch lower kit for $50 ($429.00 total)

http://www.americanairsuspension.com/Lincoln-Mark-VIII-Suspension-Conversion-Kit-p/9398mk8cv.htm

ANy other suggestions before i go down this road?
Thanks

At the compressor there is a plug with four wires, black red blue white.
The red is power for the pump, the black is ground.
Blue is power white is ground for the vent.

Each bag has a solenoid that opens the bag to let air in/let air out.

So...if you put 12 volts to the solenoid at the bag and 12 volts to the blk/red the bag will fill.
If you put 12 volts to the solenoid at the bag and 12 volts tho the blue/white bag will vet.

Simple and easy to do to trouble shoot leaks/problems and to get you car up on all fours without buying a conversion kit

Members online

No members online now.
Back