Cars like to run warm i guess?

SultanGris

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I consider it overheating but I guess the car doesn't, it doesn't turn the fan on over 6 % till it hits 220 degrees on the coolant, is that normal? I'd like to see it run closer to 200.

Screenshot_20220122-123143_FORScan Lite.jpg

Screenshot_20220122-123039_FORScan Lite.jpg
Screenshot_20220122-114650_FORScan Lite.jpg

Screenshot_20220122-112954_FORScan Lite.jpg

seems to me you have air in your coolant system. my 06 fluctuates between 190 and 210. but then again i dont really know anything.

With no leaks anymore my 05 is running between 192-196 max always. 220 sounds high for sure.

Well I'm watching the thing and it knows it's hot and it's not turning the fan on so I don't see how air could have any effect on that, also pretty sure there's no air in it. It was vacuum filled and bled properly

Yeah, 200 to 210 (maybe a little less) is what mine mostly did. Note that the cooling fan isn't used at all once you are moving at a reasonable speed (possibly even less than 40 MPH). One of mine started running a little higher, and I changed the thermostat (OEM in both cases) and resolved it.
If you turn your AC on (and leave it on), the fan will run faster and keep the engine temp down some.

Actual overheating isn't till somewhere over 230. They keep it warm to lower emissions and increase mileage.

Yeah, 200 to 210 (maybe a little less) is what mine mostly did. Note that the cooling fan isn't used at all once you are moving at a reasonable speed (possibly even less than 40 MPH). One of mine started running a little higher, and I changed the thermostat (OEM in both cases) and resolved it.
If you turn your AC on (and leave it on), the fan will run faster and keep the engine temp down some.

Actual overheating isn't till somewhere over 230. They keep it warm to lower emissions and increase mileage.
Just replaced my thermostat and plastic shit it's in and down tube with motorcraft, was new but aftermarket before, no change with the motorcraft parts. AC doesn't work, but when i turn it on the fan only goes 16 precent, better than the normal zero percent at 200 degrees i guess, ha

If you're giving the temperature at idle (car not moving), and your AC is not working, I'd say that your temperatures are normal.
If you want the engine to run a little cooler at idle, fix the AC.

If you're giving the temperature at idle (car not moving), and your AC is not working, I'd say that your temperatures are normal.
Didn't seem to matter if moving or stopped. It kicks the fan on 3 percent at 212 and 6 precent at 216, that's normal or you're saying the ac not working is affecting fan speed? Makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
Didn't seem to matter if moving or stopped. It kicks the fan on 3 percent at 212 and 6 precent at 216, that's normal or you're saying the ac not working is affecting fan speed? Makes no sense to me.
That's normal. If the AC were working and on, it would have to speed the fan up some to keep the AC from going over pressure. So, running the AC forces it to over cool the engine a little. Without the AC, it is free to run the fan the way it really wants to (slower). Note that some other cars use an electrically controlled thermostat so that they can force the engine to a warmer temperature when they want to, even if the AC is running.

The AC failed on my 04, and it took a few days to get a new compressor. I was surprised at how slow the fan ran at idle in the hot summer. I had never tried it without the AC on before.

That's normal. If the AC were working and on, it would have to speed the fan up some to keep the AC from going over pressure. So, running the AC forces it to over cool the engine a little. Without the AC, it is free to run the fan the way it really wants to (slower). Note that some other cars use an electrically controlled thermostat so that they can force the engine to a warmer temperature when they want to, even if the AC is running.

The AC failed on my 04, and it took a few days to get a new compressor. I was surprised at how slow the fan ran at idle in the hot summer. I had never tried it without the AC on before.
Ok thanks, didn't realize that mattered. Only drive this car in the winter pretty much so i didn't care about fixing the ac, but i guess there goes another 1000$ repair bill for me, ha!

Im running just under 196 at idle no AC.

Well I'm pretty sure the previous owner used a lot of stop leak so i might have some plugged passages or something, something definitely isn't right and I've replaced nearly everything but the block and the heater cores.

Ok, now this one is just now, no ac on, but it's acting more like i would expect it to. Only difference is that i had the heat on manual and blowing more now, previously was on Auto. But notice the fan is running much faster at a much cooler temp than before. Strange. I don't get it.
Screenshot_20220122-223237_FORScan Lite.jpg

Well I'm pretty sure the previous owner used a lot of stop leak so i might have some plugged passages or something, something definitely isn't right and I've replaced nearly everything but the block and the heater cores.
Stop leak will be the death of any water cooled engine. I have never and will never use stop leak. Our engines have alot of plastic parts and when working on the coolant system you need to replace it all at the same time from the water tube on the intake all the way down to the dccv. And use motorcraft, or you will end up doing the job a few times. I know this seems a but much and the parts are not cheap but neither was this $50,000ish car new. Good luck to you and I hope you get it sorted out. if money is an issue, change the fan for a high cfm and add a toggle switch. Every LS I had with the hydrolic fan set up, I would delete and add an after market push fan on front of the radiator.

A properly functioning AIr Conditioning system is a must when owning a LS...Joe is spot on again

Furthermore if a person owns a 1st Gen 2000-2002 LS you absolutely need a properly functioning AC system 8n order for the hydraulic fan to work

Has far as your car running at 220 this has been confirmed many times that the service manual says that the thermostat should open between 192 and 219 degrees (it's a 195 degree thermostat). You're not going to damage your engine at 220 and from regulating the temperature for many years now ....I personally found this Lincoln LS Is the most temperamental fluctuating car when it comes to temperature ...my car will be at 200 on the highway and then when I'm in town its sitting at 215... my 1998 Silverado goes to 194 and stays there for the most part whether going 30 mph or 65 mph ...

Last edited:
Well as you can see at 226 my fan is running less than half speed, it should be 100 percent at that temp if 230 is overheating. I bought this car about a year ago, it's a 2003. I've replaced the entire cooling system already except block and heater cores and hoses going to the core, heat works great, still running hot\fluctuating greatly, however looking at the forscan info is clearly because the computer isn't running the fan correctly, or it has different triggers then i assume. Notice my last picture, it appears to be working correctly and the only difference is the heat is on manual and in the first ones it's on Auto, I'll do more testing today, maybe that's the answer. Otherwise I don't understand why the fan is so sporadic. I expect consistent results. About ready to hotwire it to a potentiometer and run it inside so I can control the fan manually. That will fix it, ha!

My f350 diesel runs 194 all day long unless I'm pulling trailers up mountains.

Well as you can see at 226 my fan is running less than half speed, it should be 100 percent at that temp if 230 is overheating. ....
It's not supposed to be 100% till 236 or so!
It is running it correctly, you just don't understand what correct is in this case. Note that it will pick different temperatures based on conditions and predicted conditions. If this is driving you crazy, you'd never be able to handle BMW with the electronically controlled thermostat. (Other brands do that now too, including my car.)
I suggest that you stop looking at the actual temperature so much and just relax till there is an actual problem.

It's not supposed to be 100% till 236 or so!
It is running it correctly, you just don't understand what correct is in this case. Note that it will pick different temperatures based on conditions and predicted conditions. If this is driving you crazy, you'd never be able to handle BMW with the electronically controlled thermostat. (Other brands do that now too, including my car.)
I suggest that you stop looking at the actual temperature so much and just relax till there is an actual problem.
So they wait till it's actually overheating before they turn the fan on? That's dumb, Lol! I'm pretty sure there is a problem. I'll keep driving and see if i can get it to overheat then, i slow down when it gets that hot cause it shows no signs of trying to cool itself down.

Maybe the auto climate is screwing it up, it worked correctly on manual mode in my last picture, it's either a fluke or tied to the auto climate cause in Auto climate it would run zero at 194 degrees.

I just want it to run cooler\consistent, not 230 degrees and fluctuate from 194 to 230 every drive and wreck these shit plastic parts again so fast. You're saying that's not possible with this car?

I'm saying that your expectations about how the fan is controlled are wrong, and you are thinking there is a problem with the fan when there is not.

I'm saying that your expectations about how the fan is controlled are wrong, and you are thinking there is a problem with the fan when there is not.
You're probably right, I'm certain there's a problem somewhere, it's just far too inconsistent. Possibly the stop leak from previous owner plugging the block or my new radiator? I just expected the fan to run faster when its getting hot to try and cool it down and consistently at the same temps and that's clearly not happening so that's why I was looking at the fan system. I'll wait till red light comes on before I complain some more, thanks for the info!

fan should not go into high speed ever. you should be maxing out at around 212 idling for hours on the hottest summer day.

remember the ford 3.9 has no coolant temp sensor. it’s inferred from the head temp sensor. they tend to read a little higher

Last edited:

Members online

Back