carriage roof removal

lazer

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi
I could use some help finding some posts on the removal of my 1989 LSC fake convertable/carriage/canvas roof top.I have done a search using all those word combo's and came up with "no match" as a reselt. Why do I want to take it off, back glass broken and the glass shop wants $350.-$450. just to take off/put back on, then the cost of used glass $75. and install $100. The top is in fair shape, car will most likly see paint in spring so might as well do away with the top ( would look odd/off with new paint and a 17yr old top). I looked thru CvsF & LoL also, but posted here first. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks
Alan

Pay The Man ... Keep The Top.

lazer said:
Hi
I could use some help finding some posts on the removal of my 1989 LSC fake convertable/carriage/canvas roof top.
Hi Alan.
The Philadelphia chain of American Auto Glass charged me about $400.00 in 2001 to change the rear window in my 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC Carriage Top (also called a Roadster Top).

Getting rid of the fiberglass shell that's under your textile is NOT recommended. The shell is first held on by handfulls of never-dry adheasive. Second, the cap is secured with self tapping screws around the lower perimiter and across the top of the windshield. Each penetration will need to be filed down then filled then filed then filled then filed then primered three times.

Mike from NYC is in the process of doing this because his top broke off ... litterally. Pay someone to do it. Take MANY "before" pictures of the shell and the screws and the trim. If you have a sun roof that doesn't leak, ask them will they warranty against a leak after the work is done. Yes, I believe that mark VIIs should cosmetically be left stock. I also believe that I can spare an owner a headache.

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010008.JPG

Hi OldSchool1
I did try to take it off this afternoon, got all the edges loose but it sure is stuck real good in the center. I stoped in fear off breaking the shell & putting dents in the roof. I think it best also to let a shop do the job. $400. was a good price, was that with used glass? Wish I never took fire & theft off.

lazer said:
Hi OldSchool1
I did try to take it off this afternoon, got all the edges loose but it sure is stuck real good in the center. I stoped in fear off breaking the shell & putting dents in the roof. I think it best also to let a shop do the job. $400. was a good price, was that with used glass? Wish I never took fire & theft off.
Yup.
Used.

oldschool1017.jpg

Oh yeah.
Your location says Medford. Is that Medford, NJ as in across the river from Philly as in I could drive to 59th and Woodland Avenue and have them do it like OldSchool's?!?!

American Auto Glass
5929 Woodland Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19143-5919
(215) 724-6681

Take it off and leave it off I say. Those things seem to attract rust over time. Yes, I'm largely a cloth/vinyl top hater. :shifty: Lincoln was trying to get rid of these things with the VII.

ND4SPDLSC said:
Take it off and leave it off I say. Those things seem to attract rust over time. Yes, I'm largely a cloth/vinyl top hater. :shifty: Lincoln was trying to get rid of these things with the VII.
Don't you remember what Mike's looked like at OCB in Springfild, PA?

P1010074.JPG

P1010075.JPG

OldSchool1 said:
Don't you remember what Mike's looked like at OCB in Springfild, PA?

It was a diamond in the rough I admit, but those carriage tops, especially on an LSC or SE... The design elements just clash in my eyes. Sporty, sleek, Euro flair vs stodgy '70s Detroit boat. Lincoln took a big leap with the LSC in terms of styling, driving dynamics, and trim. Putting a cloth or vinyl top on seems like a step backwards.

ND4SPDLSC said:
It was a diamond in the rough I admit, but those carriage tops, especially on an LSC or SE... The design elements just clash in my eyes. Sporty, sleek, Euro flair vs stodgy '70s Detroit boat. Lincoln took a big leap with the LSC in terms of styling, driving dynamics, and trim. Putting a cloth or vinyl top on seems like a step backwards.
I disagree Nick.
That's why I love you like a little Brother.
:noogy:

I still see the SE as a GTC wannabe. How could a GTC ever have a cloth top? I still have to get my hands on an SE...

I'm not even close. The only thing that is like an SE on the car is the refinished grille. Even if you count the BBS wheels and/or the SE wheels, I'm still way far behind.

I am considering making it an SE though and eventually getting the GTC body kit though. I just need $2k to fall into my lap. JSev22 parted a car for the drivetrain so I can pick up the trim I need from him. I've squirreled away some stuff, but maybe 1% of the 30+ pieces of trim that has to get removed, blasted, primed, painted, and reinstalled. I'd prefer to get another 88-90 LSC or SE as I really want this one hot rodded and the job would be easier on a car that is cosmetically rougher and has the engine I need. It's all a pipeline dream though... BMWs and the LS are still tempting for practical cars post college debt.

Hi
Well I had the shop take it off $250.00, fond a back glass $75.00 had too find someone to soilder the leads back on for the rear defroster (pulled 3 glasses all of the leads fell off guy at the bone yard was a little pissed off) $50.00 to install glass total $375.00. not to bad. I left the top off do not want to go thru this any more.

OldSchool that is Medford, Massachusetts.

DaddyMac I left it at the shop for him to throw out pretty sure it came off ok I took the LSC's off it is blue. If it is not gone I try and get it back and you can have it, just pick it up. Email me at almalpal@aol.com and I will give you my cell #

GO PATS!!!!!!!!

Alan

lazer said:
Hi
Well I had the shop take it off $250.00, fond a back glass $75.00 had too find someone to soilder the leads back on for the rear defroster (pulled 3 glasses all of the leads fell off guy at the bone yard was a little pissed off) $50.00 to install glass total $375.00. not to bad.
$375.00! That's a good deal. I wish you had pictures to show everyone just how much LABOR is involved with the R&R of our tops!
lazer said:
I left the top off do not want to go thru this any more.
AAARRRRGGGHHHHH!
lazer said:
OldSchool that is Medford, Massachusetts.
Good thing it's not NJ else I'd drive over and slap you for removing that piece of history (some call it a POS) from the car. Our carriage tops are getting more rare by the week!
lazer said:
DaddyMac I left it at the shop for him to throw out pretty sure it came off ok I took the LSC's off it is blue. If it is not gone I try and get it back and you can have it, just pick it up. Email me at almalpal@aol.com and I will give you my cell #

GO PATS!!!!!!!!

Alan
Left it at the shop?!?!?!
(Thud!!)

OldSchool1 you know what the shop owner told me how the guy took the top off, he used a thin long wood saw and just ran it up under the top cutting the adheasive. NO special tool ,if I knew that I think I would have saved the $250.00 ( that's a flat rate if he takes it off and puts it back on or just takes it off). Roof was clean under the top, just have to fill the holes an remove the adheavise not too much work. I do agree with you this car looked good with that top, plus you dont see many and I like to be a little different. Now I just have to take the canvas off the trunk lid, make it thru the winter and we should be good for paint. OldSchool1 I think the hard part is putting the top back on, that's where all the LABOR is involved.

Alan

lazer said:
OldSchool1 I think the hard part is putting the top back on, that's where all the LABOR is involved.

Alan
I'm a naturalist. I want every Mark VII that has not been modified to be restored to it's original condition. I'm also a realist. It's your ride and you're going to do what is best for you and your ride.

It's a Lincoln Mark VII and I love it either way. I only have experience with about three carriage tops. I'm glad that you found minimal damage under the cap, and that you're comfortable with the pending body work. We're all going to love the finished product!

JD

Okay, I'm back from my vacation... watching my DVD of the 1970's, "World at War" :) GReat series!

lol... Yeah these tops are a strange topic. It was only after being at the local junk yard and seeing one stripped of fabric that I decided to keep the one on my newest Mark VII. The amount of gunk and goo used to keep the fiberglass on, along with the many screw and rivet holes that need to be either soldered or welded shut(requiring disassembly of the interior to prevent a potential fire while welding) made my mind up.

Yeah, I know the LSC with a top is odd for a performance look. But I figure that it should be no less desirable than an SVT Mustang Cobra with it's top up.
If you have it professionally redone, they should spot any potential leak areas and take action before putting new canvas on.

Cheers...

Members online

No members online now.
Back