Carraige top removal...

Awesund

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready for paint but need this top off for the mod. I know that there are screws that penetrate the metal for the chrome strap around the back of it, and I'll want to weld these up.

But before I dig in, is there any crucial info that might come in handy for this job.

(I think this top saved the car from that back window rust...it has absolutely none~!)

91 Mark 1-1.jpg

91 Mark 1-2.jpg

Damn that's a sharp car!

Only thing, which I'm sure you're aware of, is it's really blobs of glue that hold it on.

Thanks, mate. Yeah she's a babe, eh? lol
The Wheels are similar to LSC style but different and really make the concept.

I heard about the "Glue" thing.. . uGh. From what I understand, it's a fiberglass panel glued on to the car top. I guess that'll be the worse of the removal process...
If anyone knows more, please let me know!

Thanks y'all!

Under the cap looks like this:
oldschool1026.jpg

As for your wheels, they look like true BBS wheels. BBS wheels are very desirable. You'll know what they ar because BBS wheels never say Ford and Ford wheels never say BBS. Pull one and look at the back.

How far have you gotten with the top removal?

I stripped the top off one awhile back. Be prepared for a ton of work, as the fiberglass shell is riveted to the roof all the way around, meaning a bunch of holes to fill. I filled mine with solder. The shell is also held on with adhesive, which is a royal pain to clean off the top of the car.

Oh, and one more thing. The only way that they could make the front part fit smooth to the windshield was to dent the roof down all the way across the front. Good Luck

OldSchool1 said:
Under the cap looks like this:

As for your wheels, they look like true BBS wheels. BBS wheels are very desirable. You'll know what they ar because BBS wheels never say Ford and Ford wheels never say BBS. Pull one and look at the back.

How far have you gotten with the top removal?

Hey John, do you have any more detailed pictures of that??. I haven't touched it yet, 'till I have more info and am closer to paint. Did you fill your holes with a welder or solder?
What's this about denting the front around the windshield?

No not BBS. Those are Crown Vic wheels with a little deeper offset and refinished to get the look I'm going for. I've probably got a about $250 invested per wheel, not including tires..lol .

OldSchool1 said:
Unfortunately no.

I'm actually trying to convince you to keep the top. The cost of time and materials and labor will TOTALLY outweight having the top professionally redone. The end results will be awsome.

Lol. . Ironically, I was at the wrecking yard today and saw one sitting there with the canvas stripped off for the first time in my life. Hmmm.. Wow! Yeah, that looks like it's really tacked on well.
I was given a number to a guy who takes them off. I'll see how much he wants and how complete he does it. Leaving it on and redoing it would mean doing away with my final concept. :(

I'll let you know what he says.

Members online

No members online now.
Back