Car was misfiring, this is what I found!

silverbucket

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what the hell this is. The car started misfiring Friday, and I took her apart today, this is what I found. No idea what the orange crap is. Took all four COPs out and only two were like this and only two plugs were damaged I replaced them and the car was working fine again, I think I'm going to get my VCGs replaced next weekend.

20120317_142142.jpg

20120317_142417.jpg

20120317_142627.jpg

looks like water has been getting into the wells.

EDIT: mine looked similar after some rain water got in.

Thats the first thing I thought but I can't figure out how. I have the COP covers on and I changed all the COPs about a year ago, and this wasn't a problem, any chance the VCGs are the problem?

I had this problem as well, that rusty stuff actually stacked up on the bottom of the well and I had to dissolve it to replace the plug. Find my thread about it. I had oil getting in there, but only cylinder 8 looked like yours do. The rest were fine, just with a tiny bit of oil. VCG's are on my long list of nonsense I need to take care of.

Well I leave next Friday, so I plan on leaving my car at the shop and having the VCGs and the sway bar bushings replaced while I'm gone. Still need the clockspring, and DCCV replaced but those are things that don't bother me as much, so I'll hold off to do that.

Holy crap, seeing that would scare the dickens out of me. I remember ATPJOE having a somewhat similar looking gunk pile in one of his plug wells

Did you check the other set of COPs?

Yeah I checked all of them, and it was only the 2 on the passenger side closest to the firewall. The other six were fine, I checked all the plugs too, same story.

Didn't someone say that they were getting water in their plugs because there was a missing plastic rivet in their engine cowl?

Members online

Back